Microsoft Outlook for Mac Now Free, with Strings Attached

I’ve heard from several users of the new Outlook for the Mac that it doesn’t support Exchange servers.

It’s ironic that Apple’s Mail supports Exchange, but that Microsoft’s own e-mail program does not.

I ditched Outlook from my computer when I found out that it would be possible to add new folders for the my hotmail account only, which I must have because of the MS Office subscription.
One more reason was the fact that after testing for 2 weeks, no accounts would be shown any more when reverting to the old user interface - which I did when I wanted to check the point above with the “old” Outlook.
I restrain myself to make more “militant” statements.

I’ll restrain from all comment except to say: here in NZ, and it’s the case in other non-US places, we can’t purchase an Office 365 subscription—now that is an irritation!

Why do you say that? I’m in NZ, and I have one. Have had it for quite a while now

Since Office has recently ceased to be available for direct purchase as Office 19, Office 21, I’ve found it impossible from NZ or Australia to buy a subscription to Office 365.

Working via chat directly with Microsoft, using an Australian credit card through PayPal, led to the temporary cancellation of that card — not to any purchase of Office. I’m afraid that was an irritation… :slight_smile:

Going to Office 365 today at work. From what I’ve seen of Outlook, it is terrible. I really, really, really hate it. Mac Mail? Great! New Outlook, just ugh. I just want a list of my mail and simply can’t find a way to get it. Not a smart list. Not a whatever list. Just list my mail and show it. It seems customizations are either gone or well hidden. Hate it. Can’t wait to see Word.:confused:

Having asserted that one cannot buy Microsoft 365 with a non-US card (as I’ve remarked, my NZ card was temporarily stopped for trying) — I’d better confess that I had one final try at purchasing & Installing. Via GitHub. And to my surprise: it worked. But I do take that assertion back — I liked having a MS free Mac — but I’ve 20G of Word & Excel docs on it, so I’m relieved at having been wrong!

A little late to this discussion, but since I’m back to looking at possible Mail alternatives since the MsgFiler plugin won’t work if I upgrade to Sonoma I tried Outlook again yesterday. I do have an Office365 subscription.

Initial impressions were that it was very fast an nice looking.

But then as I used it I ran into issues. For example:

1. When I paste images in they don’t scale to fit well. They overwhelm the composing field instead. With Apple Mail they always fit well, and you can choose actual, large, medium, or small and control the size of the email. I didn’t see anything similar to that in Outlook. So I never even got so far as trying markup.

2. If you have new mails, there are no numbers next to each account showing where the new mails are. You have to open each account and look at the numbers next to the inbox.

3. While there is relatively easy message filing, there doesn’t seem to be any simple way to jump to a mailbox.

4. And of course there is no nice replying with comments inline. That’s because when you reply there is no indentation of comment levels. It’s all one level. That’s why when people reply to you from Outlook they often say, “see my comments in red below.”

So I’m still looking. I like Mail best so far. I just wish I wouldn’t loose easy message filing and mailbox opening with a Mail plugin, like MsgFiler.

doug

Our college email is via Outlook. I can’t stand it. Particularly when it comes to archiving. How anyone practises inbox zero with this tool is beyond me. Emails perpetually arising from the dead.

I haven’t used the Mac version, but on the Windows version, the default image size is either actual size (pixel-for-pixel) or scaled to the window’s width (which isn’t much better for large images). But you can right-click the image and pull up a sizing dialog, which will let you select a scaling factor or an actual size. But I have to do it for every image I paste, which can become annoying if you’re using a lot of images in a single message.

Again, I don’t know about the Mac version, but on Windows, you should be able to pull up a properties dialog for each mailbox and folder. The default (at least as my employer’s IT department has set it up) is to show the count of unread messages for the Inbox, and no counts for any other folders. I usually change all sub-folders under Inbox to show the count of unread messages, and for the “Sent” and “Deleted” folders to show the full count, regardless of read status.

That should be configurable. You are correct that the default is to just put a header block above the original message. People then type in there and will sometimes edit the cited message using colors to provide inline comments.

But you should be able to configure it to use a quote-style for replies (and/or forwards), that indents the quoted text with a specified character (e.g. a tab, > or any other sequence you prefer).

The problem with indenting is that it can produce bad-looking replies when applies to rich text/HTML messages. But it should be a configuration option.

At least it is on the Windows version.

I’m one of those that started with Claris Emailer, moved over to Outlook Express, then Entourage, and have been on Outlook for Mac since the demise of Entourage, though I still use the old Entourage Sound Set in Outlook. The irritation I now have to battle is the constant “we have updated you to the New Outlook” but I continue to change it back to “Legacy Outlook”. I know there is going to be a point that they will take that away from us, and when that time comes I either have to accept the change or change my email program.

I’ll stop switching Outlook back to Legacy mode when New Outlook on Mac has the option to put the Navigation bar back down at the bottom. Like you can in Outlook for Windows.