Microsoft Office for Mac 16.20

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/watchlist/microsoft-office-2016-16-20/

Adds support for Dark mode in macOS 10.14 Mojave to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. ($149.99 new for one-time purchase, $99.99/$69.99 annual subscription options, free update)

I am frustrated that they took away the “Classic” office theme. Under High Sierra, the option to change themes (once found in Preferences:General:Personalize:Office Theme) has been taken away.
The applications now match what was once the “Colorful” theme, with different-colored window bars (bright green for Excel, blue for Word, etc.) and a minimalist look for the tabs and ribbons.
I really dislike this appearance, because the bright colors distract from the interface, and the tabs and ribbons are over-simplified and thus harder to distinguish visaully.

This update has introduced totally revamped icons on the ribbon and elsewhere. In Outlook’s calendar, gone is the option in the sidebar to turn off the display of events in particular categories. I welcome this because a category often gets selected and the next time I add a meeting it automatically has that category which I almost never want.