Massive login failures on only the first boot after a macOS update

Try putting a Keysinker on the shift key upon starting the update.

2 Likes

Yes it will. And really be a pain if you have a business where you leave user machines in such a state. They try and log in and the system is not fully done with the update process. Especially if it was a separate log in that did the update.

I would be interested in a USB device that you can plug in to imitate a Keyboard with settings to mimic various start up key combos. I can never reliably get my Bluetooth Apple keyboard to always be identified on startup and a device I plug in that mimics Option-R or other would be a great Kickstarter I would support. Having to drag out the USB wired keyboard in these situations is a bit of a pain.

I have exactly the same issue on my 27" iMac. Frustrates the hell out of me. Particularly annoying after a hard reset when you would expect just the system to boot with nothing else loading.

1 Like

I bet someone has a RaspberryPi or Arduno solution ā€œout thereā€. All you have to do is find it.
:blush:

After a single search for

Raspberry Pi USB keyboard simulation

I got a lot of results. Iā€™m sure there is a nugget there somewhere.

Well, in general, I try to get my clients not have any items in the login sys prefs, and I turn off iCloud Keychain, not to mention optimize disk and storing desktop and Docs in the cloud, to me, thatā€™s just asking for an ass kicking. Simple is better, you can launch apps as needed. Also check the firewall, to see if any apps are giving un-needed external access to your system.

This is not a solution to your underlying problem but it might work to do your updates from a separate clean admin user.

1 Like

Yeah, now that weā€™ve had this conversation, Iā€™m planning to ensure that my Mac is in a clean state before starting the upgrade. I reboot infrequently enough that thereā€™s usually a ton of stuff open when I need to reboot to install an upgrade.

1 Like

For these OS updates Iā€™ve made it a habit to only run the updater after Iā€™ve quit all/most apps. I figure Iā€™m going to lose them all anyway since I have to reboot and I feel like that way Iā€™ve minimized the chance of anything interfering with the installer while itā€™s doing its open heart surgery.

1 Like

To revisit this topic after updating to macOS 10.14.5ā€¦

On my main iMac, which suffers horribly on the first boot after a minor update, I chose to boot into a clean admin account and update from there. Doing so solved the problem completely; no issues on the next boot into my normal account.

On my MacBook Air, where Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve had the problem, I chose to just quit all running apps and then install. That worked fine, with no issues.

On Tonyaā€™s MacBook Pro, I explicitly verified that it was set to NOT relaunch apps after restarting, and then I launched a bunch of apps before installing the update. When it was done, it rebooted and relaunched all the apps, but didnā€™t have any authentication errors.

So my tentative conclusion is that:

• macOS minor updates always relaunch running apps, regardless of the state of the checkbox that does so when restarting normally. This strikes me as very wrong. Thereā€™s a user-initiated restart, and that checkbox should be honored.

• Thereā€™s something whacked on my iMac (perhaps a keychain-related issue?) that causes authentications to fail on the first reboot, probably because things are launching before I have a chance to log in. This is not normalā€”at least one, if not both of my test Macs donā€™t experience this issue.

3 Likes

@ace, if youā€™re booting in verbose mode, are you seeing any weird items recently compared to less troublesome reboots in the past?

Here is my 2 cents, for what itā€™s worth.

As a beta tester, my 2012 Mac mini always starts to develop quirky problems. The procedure described below seems to take care of them.

• I go to the App Store and download the full install version (Mojave is about 6 GB in size) whenever the new release comes out.

• After the installer goes through its motion and the screen comes up, I shut down the machine.

• I then reset the SMC. (The procedure is described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295)

• After I boot and before logging in, I boot one more time. (Donā€™t ask me why I do that. I just feel better doing it.)

As I mentioned, doing this seems to get rid of a lot of unexplainable problems.

Ryoichi Morita

A good question, and perhaps next time I have a minor update to install, Iā€™ll try verbose mode (I donā€™t normally do that). The problem is that these updates come about six times per year, so until this last one, I wasnā€™t thinking hard about how to installā€”Iā€™d just click the button and only regret it after the next restart was a royal pain.

1 Like

Just to keep this thread alive, since the problem hasnā€™t gone awayā€¦

Given the infrequent nature of macOS updates, even the stupid supplemental updates, I always forget to restart in a clean admin account. Nothing Iā€™ve done so far has prevented the problem, but I should try resetting SMC just for giggles next time I restart the Mac.

Drat, forgot about trying verbose mode.

However, I did verify that merely quitting all apps is not sufficient to eliminate the problem. On the first boot after the last security update, it tried to launch all my standard apps but in such a way that all were failing credential checks and thus not working well or prompting for passwords. Booting in a separate clean admin account remains the only solution.

Iā€™ll be curious if this goes away in Catalina.

1 Like

Just to keep this inscrutable thread going, Iā€™m now running Catalina on my 27-inch iMac, and when I installed 10.15.5, the huge login problems continued. For the supplemental update that just came out, I remembered in time to cancel the restart, logged out, switched to an admin account, and installed from there with no problems (although the one appā€”System Preferencesā€”that was open before the install was open afterward as well).

SMC has been reset on this Mac since itā€™s just a matter of unplugging it from the wall for 15 seconds and that has happened several times in the process of the various SSD failing tribulations.

Itā€™s definitely related to my account in some way, since Iā€™ve migrated to a new 2020 iMac, and after installing 10.15.6 Supplemental Update, the problem happened yet again.

And just to keep this going, I recently upgraded my main iMac to Big Sur, and when the 11.2.1 update rolled in, I installed it from my main account and suffered from this massive authentication failure on first launch yet again.

So whatever it is, itā€™s deep in my account. Sighā€¦

FWIW, Adam, I did experience your same login issues when I first upgraded to Big Sur. But the updates to macOS 11 have not been a problem. Freaked me out, I can tell you. Solved with a ShutDown and restart.
I assumed it was some flakiness in my Admin account. But now you have me worried!