macOS Monterey 12.6.4 and Big Sur 11.7.5

Originally published at: macOS Monterey 12.6.4 and Big Sur 11.7.5 - TidBITS

Security patches for Monterey and Big Sur. (Free, various sizes, macOS 12 and 11)

Fun fact for users who don’t have their browser language set to English: The link in the Software Update panel that supposedly has information about the content of the updates points to Apple security updates - Apple Support, which for me redirects to Apple-Sicherheitsupdates - Apple Support (DE) (German is set as the preferred language in my browser). But that page has not yet been updated with the Safari and macOS updates (the latest it shows is the GarageBand update from March 7).
Until I investigated that today for some reason, it had annoyed me for years that the information was never there when it should have been, making it hard to evaluate whether an update was urgent. It never occurred to me that the pages just hadn’t been translated, even though the updates were already being pitched for download. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Since updating my Macmini7.1 to macOS 12.6.4 yesterday, the Dock doesn’t work properly. Here’s the pattern:

• After startup, the Dock sometimes appears.
  • After some startups, the Dock doesn’t appear. Adjusting System Preferences doesn’t make the Dock appear correctly.
  • After another restart, the Dock sometimes appears correctly, but, not always.

Any other reports of this? Any suggestions for how to make the Dock appear correctly after each startup? Many thanks.

My system info:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini7,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5 Processor
Speed: 2.6 GHz

System Version: macOS 12.6.4 (21G526)
Kernel Version: Darwin 21.6.0

Version: 16.4 Obtained from: Apple
Last Modified: 3/28/23, 11:20 AM
Kind: Universal
Signed by: Software Signing, Apple Code Signing Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
Get Info String: 16.4, Copyright © 2003-2023 Apple Inc.

Chipset Model: Intel Iris
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0a2e
Revision ID: 0x0009
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 1

So first (and sorry if it’s obvious), what’s the setting in Dock Preferences for “Automatically hide and show the Dock”? Second, when the Dock doesn’t appear, is there a “Dock” process listed in Activity Monitor?

Yes. All settings are correct.

Worth checking to see if it happens in a guest account.