I apologize for starting this sort of topic in this forum, but I am stumped.
My wife died.
– I thought I knew the administrator password for her Mac mini (mid 2011). But… nope.
– Then tried all the usual approaches to dealing with lost password.
– So I used Recovery to erase the encrypted drive and then to launch Install Lion (the only OS choice). To keep this short, that fails. Magnificently.
– So I went to the Apple App Store for the High Sierra the installer. I click Get and the process starts, then fails: “Update not found.”
– So, somehow, I found a link directly to a copy on Apple servers. Bug Sur on a macPro (2019) refused to download that file, stating security considerations.
I urgently need to repartition a hard drive, keeping HFS+ encrypted.
The mini is perfect for that. And I have other uses for it.
If no advice, then what forums?
* and plaintively