macOS 12.3 Monterey Bricking Some Repaired 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros

Originally published at: macOS 12.3 Monterey Bricking Some Repaired 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros - TidBITS

There are multiple reports of the macOS 12.3 Monterey bricking Macs that have had their logic boards replaced. If that describes your Mac, hold off on the update for now.

It bricked my totally factory original Mac mini (2018).

Ouch! What has Apple said about that?

Unfortunately just the canned response of a support article that eventually directed an erase/install/restore. I tried for several days to get them interested in figuring out why since I’d heard of similar instances but it went nowhere.

For reference, here is the Apple Developer Forums thread on the subject:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/701681

And that worked to bring the machine back, but the problem cropped up again when you tried to update again? I almost wonder if Apple might have replaced the logic board in your particular Mac for some odd reason before you ever got it.

No, it didn’t happen twice. It was erase, install fresh unused 12.3, restore from CCC backup with Migration Assistant. All good in the end but no one gave a hoot about figuring out the cause.

Not too surprising, I guess—the support reps are probably focused on getting you running again and figure that the engineers will be looking into the problem based on how they code the internal reports.