macOS 11.2 Big Sur Improves Bluetooth, Squashes Bugs

I have avoided updating to Big Sir because it is just not ready yet. I have a copy loaded on a separate boot partition and I keep it up to date but my production machine with all my licensed software remains on Catalina.

How does this work with Big Sur? Do you need a separate container on the internal disk? Would it work even with an M1 Mac? Thanks for the education.

I just had the same problem on my wife’s Mac Mini running Big Sur, so I’m not going to let Apple run me through any more diagnostic hoops anytime soon. Piece of trash, as I said originally.

I have not upgraded from Mojave like many because of the many problems there were with Catalina for which I have never had reliable reports of them being fixed. In particular the issues with Mail and Preview, both of which I totally depend upon. Mojave is not perfect* but in general it is pretty usable.

• Incidentally the main issue I have with Mojave is that after about a day or so of having a Synology based SMB volume mounted any transaction with the shared volume becomes very sluggish indeed and is only fixed when I eject and re-mount the volume. This does not happen from Windows 10 so I can only assume it is a Mac SMB-client issue.
1 Like

I have a MBP 15in 2019 running an external display LG27UK850 - I was keen to upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 due to the warning from Josh on the emphasis on Security fixes and a bug with spotlight.

BUT I read elsewhere that a number of users have experienced problems with external displays in 11.1 which in some cases is made worse with 11.2

There is also an annoying bug in Big Sur with searching for text within RTF docs, Big Sur is blind to these, convert the document to say .docx & it appears in spotlight! I had also hoped that 11.2 might fix this…

Has anyone come across the display issue?
Does anyone know if 11.2 fixes the RTF search/spotlight issue

Any advice of comments greatly appreciated!

I am still on Mojave. Just watching…waiting, waiting, waiting…

Rich

1 Like

Me too. Apple’s reluctance to actually tell you everything that they have fixed means that I would rather stick with the problems that I know about than move to another OS version with other problems that may or may not have been fixed. I depend on my computer working well for my business activities and I can’t afford to lose functionality.

I am sure many others are in this position, and Apple must know how many people are still on older system versions. It is within their power to give us the confidence to upgrade.

I have to say that this is probably my biggest gripe with Apple. Although by and large their systems are robust, there are always a few problems which may not be crashing bugs but are still widely recognised, but they are never acknowledged by Apple and so they never let you know when they are eventually fixed (if they ever are!).

These are all anecdotes so of course YMMV but I just wanted to let folks know I stuck with Mojave for a long time until I upgraded to Catalina and only recently migrated to Big Sur, mainly because I was so frustrated with Catalina’s various quirks. On my systems, Big Sur has probably been the most well behaved of all three. Catalina was a real pain in the you-know-what. Mojave was better, but I think Big Sur has actually been the most stable. Its optics might take some getting used to, but in terms of smooth running it’s definitely Big Sur for me.

I agree. Look I would like to move to Big Sur, I might not have any issues, but who can take that chance with your main system?
Frankly, I should not have to worry about this. Apple should produce a stable system with a few small bugs. I have been a Mac user for more than 30 years, and Apple OS updates seem to be getting worse and worse.
I invested in the Apple platform long ago because I agreed with their logic, we make the hardware AND the software for the perfect integration. Well?
I think largely, that held true for many years, but as I said earlier, these updates seem to be getting worse.
I will have to research how to go backwards before any attempt to move forward…but for now, I will wait.

I really wish they would resolve the issue with being unable to mount and dismount volumes. It affects Catalina and Big Sure. What annoying problem.

Catalina doesn’t run on an M1 Mac. With the transition underway, which platform do you think they have their most talented programmers and designers working on? I ditch my INTEL 2020 MBP know Apple is now focused on the M1.

With an installed base of Intel Macs out there, it would be a huge folly to ignore those people. Sure, they are focusing on moving on, but I think that is going to take a while.

Apple has been crystal clear that it will continue to support Intel-based Macs fully for at least a few years.

I think that the reference I posted yesterday to Jason Snell’s The Mortality of Software is relevant here. The same is true for hardware.

I have two machines, both older (2015), one running Big Sur and one running Catalina. Most of the differences I can deal with, but I’m wondering if anyone has any input into what appear to me to be very strange design choices in Mail. Specifically, I use the probably-now-deprecated one-line-per-email just-the-sender-subject-and-date view. I do this because I have literally 4835 unread messages in my inbox, out of 7872 messages total. You can say what you like about my life and the way I run it, but the new version of Mail has, bizarrely, done away with the triangle that shows that a line corresponds to a thread, rather than to a single email, so there’s no way to tell whether I’m looking at a single message or a thread of thirty messages, until I hit the right arrow. Also, the lines are now much more widely spaced. I … can’t see any reason for either of these, and I’m hoping that someone has a suggestion on how to get more information onto the screen.

Yeah, okay, this is probably one of those “Apple likes it this way, deal with it.” situations. Alas.

Apple has been crystal clear that it will continue to support Intel-based Macs fully for at least a few years.

Obviously but it won’t be there focus and major OS updates will likely end 3-years after the last INTEL Mac with security updates up to 5-years, which is 2-years short of the 5/7 years of support respectively. The key thing to watch for is if they push out another INTEL MacPro, something that will signal from where support begins and ends.

Honestly, I sold my six month old $3000 Intel Mac once the M1 came out. The writing is on the wall.

I think it may be a problem with your settings in BigSur for your email:

All of the settings to check are in the View Menu when you are showing the index to your messages. From your description, you should have a check next to ‘Use Column Browser’. If there is no check next to ‘Organize by Conversation’, each message appears in the by itself in the list with no indication of any threads. So, click ‘Organize by Conversation’ if it is not set. That should fix the problem. You should see a column with a header of an up and a down arrow. Threads will be marked by a circled ‘>’. If you click it, the thread will expand. You can also highlight messages that are members of threads via the ‘Highlight Conversations’ item in the View menu.

Note: I am describing what I see in BigSur 11.2, the update released last week. I believe that there were some issues with the column browser in at least one earlier version.

1 Like