Mac Studio rumors

On a related note, I really hope those display renderings are not accurate. Looks like no height or swivel adjustment, let alone rotation.

Seriously? This $2.5B company must have at least one mechanical engineer hidden away somewhere who could evolve the case design beyond what was essentially developed 23 years ago for the Cinema Display.

1 Like

Or perhaps the Mac Studio is the new iMac Pro. Makes sense for a pro Mac not to be limited by tight thermals or limited ports due to excessive thinness.

Perhaps, in an Apple Silicon world this is the way the new iMac plays out. The 24" is the iMac and it’s geared towards consumers, home users, and edu — just like the original iMac. OTOH people looking for pro gear (and not willing to shell out $12k for the MP/XDR combo, IOW the “pro” majority) get a Mac Studio and a Studio Display.

Only a few hours to go…

Definitely interesting option to consider. But I do wonder. The Desktop market is the smaller (by far) end of the Mac market. A souped up Mini, yes I can see that. If we get a Studio… I’d be betting that the Pro will die again.

Ah I see Simon makes effectively the same point.

Sadly, it appears that the extra-tall case is just for fans and heat-sinks. The Studio is a really powerful computer and at a fairly reasonable price for the power, but like all other Macs, has zero in terms of internal system expansion.

Looking forward to the iFixit teardown.

Looks like the Studio is indeed at the same time the high-end Mac mini (M1 Max version) and the Mac Pro ( M1 Ultra version). I’m not surprised by the lack of internal expansion. Nothing we’ve seen so far on the Max/Pro front indicated we’d be getting any of that back. Perhaps with M2, but I’m certainly not holding my breath.

To me the big question now is if we’re getting a 27" iMac Pro and what that will look like. At $1999 plus $1599 for the screen, the $3600 Studio setup still leaves quite some room to the 24" iMac, but of course not quite as much to the old 27" iMac Pro at $4999 or even the $5999 Mac Pro.

I also wonder if we’ll see an M1 Pro Mac mini.

It sounds like we still have a Mac Pro to come. We have the M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, and now the M1 Ultra. Maybe the Mac Pro will have an Mx UltraPro and UltraMax?

Yes! That was a good guess!

Swivel, yes. Height for $400 more. I guess you have to rotate the base to rotate, though.

I wonder if it could come with something like dual Ultras. I don’t see socketed/exchangeable RAM or flash. Apple never seemed to like internal storage bays or PCIe (proposing external TB instead). I really wonder what else they’d do with that huge case. OTOH, reduce that case to account for no slots or bays and you’re essentially where the Studio is now. Exciting times. :)

Yeah, leave it to Apple to make a minor **** move even with such a great product. A $400 stand just to get height adjustment and yet you still can’t swivel or rotate. For Pete’s sakes, my plastic $650 Dell 4K display has better ergonomics. Really Apple, you used ot be at the absolute forefront of ergonomic design. What gives?

(And no, VESA mount is not an excuse.)

I can see that height should be included…but swiveling the monitor…well, I can’t remember the last time I even wanted to do that. It sits in front of the user…and swiveling it aims it not t the user.

Apple said that there was one more computer to transition and it was the Mac Pro at the end of the announcements, so my guess is the iMac Pro is done for. So is the 27 inch iMac, I would guess, since they can’t be offering a studio + 27 in display for $3600 and having a 27 inch all in one for (probably) 1500 less and roughly comparable specs. I can see a 30 inch iMac starting at 3K?

Not saying there might not be a market for a 27" iMac, but ask yourself why would you need a 27" iMac after seeing this? Especially since you can reuse the Apple Studio monitor (with all of its goodies including the mics, speaker system and the camera) on the next model or purchase/reuse any monitor you’d like.

In the workplace people often need to briefly show something to a colleague. That’s when you swivel over the screen.

It somebody needs a basic 27” iMac, you can essentially do that now with the studio monitor and a Mac mini. If they ever do the mini with an Mx Pro option, that would give some more flexibility as well.

Because a 27 inch screen with an M1 Mac (ie the current 27 in iMac with Apple Silicon) for circa $2500 is essentially the same as a base Studio plus display but more than a thousand dollars cheaper?

Don’t underestimate the lowly M1 Mini. I run a M1 Mini with 8GB memory and a 256GB SSD/ with a 36" LG monitor that I repurposed. It’s more than adequate performance and I don’t really tax the memory. A 16 GB and 512GB model would be even sweeter.

I like the addition of the Mac Studio, though…

1 Like

No, you’re right. It look like they pretty much stuck a fork into the 27" iMac (Pro).

Personally, I’m good with that. I always considered an AIO a more consumer type device for people looking for a simple self-contained package with no fuss. The 24" M1 iMac is that.

People who need power, or lots of I/O, or big screens, are IMHO better off with a Studio. And as you say, for Apple it’s far nicer to sell people a $3600 package rather than a $1799 package. :wink:

I guess what I wonder now is what the typical ~$2k iMac buyer is now going to do. Without a higher-end Mac mini, there is a hole in the lineup there.

1 Like

I like that thought…I’m guessing we won’t see any larger iMacs since a Studio and display are roughly the same price range as a higher end M1 Max iMac would be and since they said one more to transition. A 30 in her I guess might be possible but it’s hard to find a price point where it makes sense to me.

I was hoping for an M1 Pro mini and I woulda replaced my 2019 iMac with it and a monitor…but at 2K to start its over priced for what I would use it for…would need 2TB and that’s 2600 plus the monitor. My original thought was a mini to replace the 2014 one in the entertainment center and move file services to that one…and get a monitor for the M1 Pro MBP and use a single LIghtroom catalog on the laptop instead of the export/import routine currently necessary for travel. But the Studio is too high powered to not use it for Lightroom as well…and that means no simplification for me with the studio as the 2014 mini still needs replacement. I’m going to have to rethink my idea here…and see what my bride thinks. Her initial thought was buy whatever you want, we are retired and can afford it…but from a practical standpoint we need to refigure where the sweet spot is now.

Yeah, the M1 Pro/Max mini would definitely be required for that. IMHO you cannot adequately replace a 27" iMac with a near portless mini with a 16-GB RAM ceiling. I’m wondering if perhaps we’ll see a higher-end mini when the MBA is refreshed later this year. Hoping WWDC (summer) rather than fall event.

And then there’s the financials. If you want to replace the screen on your 5K iMac you’re getting a Studio display. That leaves $200 between what you previously paid for the AIO and what you’ve already spent on that fancy display. There is no chance you’re getting any Mac mini for that. The upsell is great for Apple (if it happens), but a couple iMac fans are going to be p*ssed.

I suppose that may be true for some…but having sat in front of computers as a graphics guy in DoD, a spreadsheet budget guy also in DoD, and a contractor sysadmin for DoD I probably swiveled my monitor maybe a half dozen times in 25 years or so…and with a single foot stand this new one is trivially capable of being scooted around a little. The viewing angle is wide enough that moving it really isn’t very often necessary…and if it is for some there will be a swiveling stand available for it from somebody by next week.

1 Like

John Siracusa posted this drawing last fall based on some Apple silicon rumors of different die sizes showing different processor options.

https://hypercritical.co/2021/05/21/images/city-of-chiplets.png

The Ultra is the one labeled Jade 2C-Die. So if he’s right, there is indeed something bigger than the Ultra coming for the Mac Pro. So, not dual Ultras, but I guess an Ultra Max?