Login Screen in Big Sur

Has anybody had any luck in figuring out how to change the new login screen apple is seemingly forcing on users in Big Sur? I can’t seem to change it.

1 Like

Are you trying to change the background image, or something else? It seems likely the components of it are part of the read-only System volume.

Trying to get rid of the god-awful red/orange background and select my own. Was always able to change prior OS versions, but this one seems fixed.

Gary

1 Like

Interestingly, Sonoma allows the desktop wallpaper to display on the login screen, at least when a custom wallpaper is chosen for a single user. I haven’t tried to see what happens when there are multiple users.

I agree that the default images on Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura are truly awful and garish.

1 Like

I’m glad that still works in Sonoma. It does add a step I would have to do before shutting down, because I normally set wallpaper to change every minute. That setting gets you the ugly login screen next time you start up. So before shutting down, I would need to change my wallpaper setting back to not changing at intervals.

An app called Boot Buddy (from MacEnhance) lets you customize the login screen, but I’m not sure if they have it working with Ventura or Sonoma. IIt was last updated in 2021.