LittleBITS: Inadvertent Mail Deletion, TidBITS Security Vulnerability, and iOS Update Error 1100

Originally published at: LittleBITS: Inadvertent Mail Deletion, TidBITS Security Vulnerability, and iOS Update Error 1100 - TidBITS

Did you know that pressing Control-H in Mail deletes the current message? You do now. Adam also shares a story about a Pakistani security researcher reporting a vulnerability on the TidBITS site and a reader tip about avoiding USB hubs when updating an iPhone from a Mac.

Re: USB hubs and iOS updates

For what it’s worth, I’ve installed all the iOS updates this year on an iPhone Xs by connecting it to my 2020 iMac 27 via an OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub. Sort of a USB hub, but on steroids.

No issues.

1 Like

Re: Control-H in Mail

Thanks for this tip. I immediately re-mapped “control-H” in Mail to something innocuous (Highlight Conversations) using Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences, just to avoid this being a problem in the future.

4 Likes

I got a “beg bounty” email a couple of weeks ago. No details on the supposed vulnerability were given. The guy mentioned a website which looked legit. I made the error of replying. And then he didn’t stop asking for money. The supposedly legit website didn’t reply to an email from me about the guy. So count yourself really lucky!

There’s a wonderful site, https://www.osstatus.com/, which digs into all the header files to find error codes. 1100 could be kODErrorSessionProxyCommunicationError from CFOpenDirectory.h. I’m not sure that would have helped solve the problem, but it would point to some issue in accessing files.

1 Like

If I was forced to get a hub, I’d definitely go for a high-end Thunderbolt hub like this, since I suspect the build and component quality are higher than for inexpensive USB-only hubs.

Ugh, sorry to hear it! That was why I was initially suspicious, but Mahad’s email was really clear and provided all the necessary detail, which helped a lot.

2 Likes

Was the Wordpress issue just that it was missing updates? Or custom work? I leave mine set to Auto on version, patches, and plugins.
One note about the OWC Tbolt hub, I have older gen and hope to replace it with CalDigit. The iPhone would have issues (no errors, just slow or have to unplug, move to MacMini directly) unless off the MacMini’s USB. Otherwise, seems the iOS updates are the only culprit.

AppleInsider mentions and recommends the top end CalDigit hub. I’ve heard of both CalDigit and OWC spoken of respectfully over the years. I think I’m ready to echo @ace and switch to to a hub on steroids for next Mac. Have had many many issues on hubs and USB devices like drives! That’s what eventually got me to get rid of a dozen drives and get a DAS with 5 14 TB drives in RAID 5.

@ace Gracefully written and clear description of your interaction across the world and various cultures. I’m glad this was what seems to have been benevolent. I don’t think I would have gotten through as well as you did. Too bad it could be in the newly named “beg bounty” category.

Great idea, @MR. I just did the same. Thank you!

It seems that WordPress doesn’t automatically prevent its sites from being displayed in an IFRAME. See this:

And this page might also add some context. I’ll admit that this isn’t something I know much about; I defer to my developer on the topic.

After using several TB/TB2/TB3 docks with all kinds of ports I recently converted my primary workspace to a CalDigit TB4 “Element” hub. It offers 4x TB4 and 4x USB-A (3.2 gen 2, 10 Gbps) ports.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FF7X3BY

So far it has worked great. The only downside I can recognize is that it doesn’t offer a full 100W of upstream power (60-W limit) so charging a 16" under load is going to take longer. Since I have a 14" I don’t care. What is solid about it though is that those 60 W are guaranteed at all time. They don’t get reduced because of power draw on the other TB4 or USB-A ports, as is the case with some cheaper hubs.

What I particularly like about this TB4 hub is the fact that it offers many plain TB4 ports instead of just a few plus dedicated ports (like my previous TB2/3 docks, incl. the CalDigit TS3 Plus). So here you add Gigabit or DP or HDMI not via a dedicated port, but rather by choosing an appropriate cable. Full flexibility, no wasted or unused ports. And if you need more than 4 TB4 ports, well just grab another one of these and daisy chain them. Simple and versatile. Not cheap, but very nice indeed.

3 Likes

Hear, hear - like you, I also use the CalDigit Element TB4 hub with a 14" and they work very well indeed. I like that the hub works with SuperDrive, can supply 7.5W to USB-A and 15W to USB-C ports, while providing full 60W to the 14". Since the 14" has an SD card reader, the lack of reader on the hub is not a concern. The hub also works flawlessly with the LG 5K which is a relief. I bought the hub directly from CalDigit Taiwan which provided great customer service - fast action (placed order at 5pm TW time on a Friday, packed the shipment at 7pm!), fast shipping (not cheap though) while accommodating my request for a UK power plug.

1 Like