Little hovering web videos — make it go away!

Yes This also works for me !

A much more technical solution, is to run PiHole.

1 Like

The biggest problem with DNS-based ad blocking (including PiHole) is that it breaks some web sites.

I experimented with this years ago and I found that many popular sites use scripts for ad-loading. If you block the DNS record (so lookups fail), the scripts keep on retrying indefinitely, causing the site to hang, or at least take a very long time to load.

In order to work around this, I made a fake web server - a tiny application that accepts HTTP requests and always returns the same fixed content (in my case, a text/plain document saying “Content blocked”) for all URLs. I then configured my DNS to return that server’s IP address for all the blocked domains.

That worked a lot better - the ad-loading scripts would all get successful responses to their requests - all getting my fixed content. So instead of seeing ads, I’d see lots of rectangular regions of the screen showing my “Content blocked” text message.

But ultimately, I found it worked far far better to use a more traditional ad blocker in my browser (I’m currently using AdBlock Plus), which can actually delete problem content from web pages. It actually deletes objects and scripts from the page’s DOM. Which means that there is no attempt to fetch ad content and my pages aren’t littered with the boxes that would present those ads.

The downside to this, of course, is that it only blocks requests that come from my web browser. Other browsers or non-browser apps that embed HTML content don’t get blocked by it.

4 Likes

Long ago, Pi-Hole made a change that returns a valid link to bogus content rather than just having the lookup fail. I only very rarely see failures or long loading times.

While I’m quite happy with my Pi-Hole blocking, I should note that a lot of newsletter publishers put trackers in all their links which cause them to be blocked by Pi-Hole. It’s a feature, not a bug, as far as I’m concerned, but it does mean that sometimes you can’t just click a link but need to figure out how to reach the actual site instead of the tracker. US government services such as Medicare are particularly problematic, but I for one am glad to know where their links actually lead when I click on them.

5 Likes

I presume that this is the option you’re talking about:

Unfortunately, (from iOS 16 at least) it also interfered with the custom Reaction Emoji that @ace created so I needed to disable this ad-skipping option when using StopTheMadness Pro on talk.tidbits.com.

If YouTube ads are what you’re worried about, all you need is Vinegar. Works like a charm on both iOS and macOS and at $2 costs a fraction of STM.

[On a sidenote, is there a simple way in MAS to see the price of an app you have already downloaded? Something better than trying to find the URL and check for the price in a web browser?]

2 Likes

You can customize StopTheMadness in a per-website basis, so you can create a custom rule for Tidbits, or for YouTube.

1 Like

Per side note: MAS > Store > Account > Account Settings > Purchase History. The filter is date based, so helps to have an idea when the purchase was made.

3 Likes

I don’t suppose this can be used somehow with the YouTube channel on Roku (watching on TV)? I mean, I know it can’t but maybe there is something else that would work? Probably just wishful thinking. But it would be nice.

StopTheMadness is a Safari extension, so it only works on web pages displayed in Safari. So, no, it won’t work to remove ads you see in the YouTube channel you’re watching via your Roku device on your TV.

That would be worth $12 right there.

ya know I just use the reader view. It’s in Safari, Firefox and Opera.
Just the little icon that looks like a text in the url address bar on the right. Works everytime.
But that’s on a webpage with a computer. I don’t read long articles on my phone but I do on my ipad and as I recall it’s there also- correct me if I am wrong.

People, please stop suggesting Reader.

Everybody already knows about it.

But as I have pointed out twice in this very thread (here and here), often webpages deliberately break Reader. Likely because the sites are aware that otherwise people would be using Reader to get around their ad videos or whatever other type of video they’re force feeding.

So if it were as simple as hitting the Reader button, this thread wouldn’t exist. Please take the time to read a thread before replying.

I really don’t give a damn. Time is my currency and I have no time to be disturbed if I am reading an article. So therefore I will continue to use reader. Of course Tidbits is an exception, it doesn’t offend my experience. Why would I use Reader with Tidbits? And if I read every word in a discussion with a min of 30 threads- sorry- it’s my choice to reiterate- just move on. As some folks may also missed other information as well.

3 Likes

Hi. I use Little Snitch and block the video link. Daily Mail does this and LS stops them. LS does NOT work on the iPhone so on that device, I use DuckDuckGo to block the video. DuckDuckGo on the Mac does not block the video on its own. Dunno why!

Alright folks, I’m going to clean up the bits people are taking offense to and close down the topic, which has largely answered its question (use StopTheMadness).

2 Likes