Large Size of Apple’s New Low-Cost iPhone SE Disappoints

Oh thanks, I didn’t know they all had the camera bump now. I always use a case so I guess that won’t matter. But do they have curved sides or did I misread that? I often lay mine on it’s side to stabilize it to take a pic. It would seem silly to me if you couldn’t do that anymore.

I agree with you on potential batter life but I’m sure that would cost in weight. I’ll still check out the new SE when I’m out of quarantine. Looking forward to hearing first impressions on here!

Diane

1 Like

I’ve heard that the bump was the result of having multi lenses that make for much better, and more options for, photos and videos. High quality photos are a very big selling point, including stuff like ultra wide angle and panoramic shooting, multi level telephoto, high quality zoom, slow motion, 4K video, low light, etc. It’s a big reason why so many people are shelling out big bucks for top of the line iPhones or Samsungs rather than lugging around a big, heavyweight DSLR camera and a phone that’s just for talking and texting. It’s a big reason why Apple’s stock is worth so much than Nikon’s.

Well, sure. But then why not make the case as thick as the lenses require, and the battery as thick as the case, so, no bump, and more battery life?

I’ve read that a thicker battery would affect some of the radios, requiring more power to get through the extra mass of the battery, almost completely offsetting the advantage of the larger battery. The battery is kept at a size that delivers a minimum battery usage, and the thickness of the case is derived from that.

I’m not sure that explanation is right, but I’ve read it more than once.

Also, if the device weight was critical then Apple shouldn’t have switched from lighter mostly aluminum cases to heavier (and more fragile) mostly glass ones.

1 Like

A bigger battery would mean more weight and a significantly bigger price. Glass is easier to mould and IIRC, a glass back is necessary for wireless charging. IIRC about this one too, the glass Apple uses in iPhones is less susceptible to scratches. I traded in my trusty 4s (which is still going strong) for an 8 Plus years ago, I was glad it also had a glass back as I think it looks so much nicer.

They sure do.

1 Like

The former is true. The latter is not. The battery is a fairly inexpensive compared to other components, especially by volume. Last I checked, the cameras and screen are the expensive items. Then the A13.

That sounds like an interesting theory. What I don’t get is where this power loss should occur. The antennas are the lining on the side, the RF amps are on the board. I cannot see any RF signal path through the battery. Not saying it’s not there, just don’t understand how this would lead to power dissipation into the battery.

1 Like

Well yech. Who thought that was a good idea?!

Diane

1 Like

Funny, I can do that on my iMac when I’m home. My iPhone stays on the night stand unless I’m going somewhere AWAY from home; I don’t need to carry it when just outside the house. For phone calls, that is what the home phone is for and since 99.44% of all calls I receive on either it or the iPhone are robo/spam/telemarketing, I only answer if I recognize who is calling.

1 Like

Because of the arrogant Jony Ive! Now that he has been booted out, I hope things will improve down the road; unfortunately the SE2 was designed under his regime.

1 Like

I always thought that might have been a nod back to the old iPhone 3G(S). It had those polished curved bezels. Not all the way around though, only as seen from the front.

Something I never liked about the sides of my old 6 was that it was almost impossible to pick up from a flat surface. The SE interestingly enough is easier. I would have thought a straight edge that meets the table would be harder to pick up than a curved edge that leaves a gap to the surface below. But in reality, the 6 was like a bar of soap (despite being slightly wobbly due to protruding camera) while the SE is a lot easier to pick up. Still harder than my old 3, but definitely easier than the 6. Maybe the extra thickness of the SE helps too. The 6 was IIRC the thinnest iPhone Apple ever made. Maybe the new X-style iPhones are easier to pick up due to their extra thickness and the gap to the surface below.

Unless you put a case on it, that will take care of both problems. I have a 6 with an Apple leather case, never any issues picking it up from a flat surface. It will probably be the same for the new SE, and since that is mostly glass, making it less slippery and protecting it somewhat if it does slip, is even more important I think.

Perhaps you find something like this is a good idea for your photography needs?

I have something similar and it has been serving me well for more than 5 years now.

Ah! You’re one of the few remaining people who still have land lines. :slight_smile:

I had a 6 in a TPU case and was not terribly disheartened to see it drop, irretrievably, into a river. I bought my SE after that and have been an entirely happy camper. I didn’t like the size of the 6 and, even with a case, found it uncomfortable to hold for any length of time. The case simply did not provide enough “padding” for a phone as thin as the 6. Maybe the 8/SE is better; I’ll have to hold one before I buy one. I am hopeful, however, that my SE lives and is supported for a few years longer.

As far as I know, the new SE is exactly the same size as the 6, 7 and 8.

No thicker? Or larger (just bezel magic?). I’ll admit to being too lazy to look; not really interested in the SE2 at this point. I’ll see what’s in Apple’s lineup when my SE is no longer viable.

My first iPhone was the 4s, so I never held anything earlier. I looked at some cases online last night and it seems like the more durable ones that I typically get (Otterbox Commuter/Defender) would take care of the curved edge.

What I found with my SE though, is that since it was the same size as the 5, some companies didn’t make anything new for it and it was like they were just pulling old stock off the shelves for cases. I seemed to have an easier time getting replacement parts for my 4s cases after 5 years, than I did in 2 years for the SE. I hope the new SE doesn’t suffer the same fate.

Diane

I actually have one! Completely forgot about it - thanks!

I do use my “real” camera when I plan on taking pix, but I still manage to take thousands otherwise with the phone when I’m out and about.

Diane

That’s true.

Personally, I never get a case. I don’t like the idea of spending a lot of money on a phone that was engineered to be svelte and sexy, only for me to then go out and slap an ugly shell onto it effectively making it fatter.

That said, I do understand other people benefit from cases to help them deal with drops (I very rarely drop my phone, but of course I know it happens) or to store credit cards etc. (a lot of woman seem to like that). I guess it’s just not my thing. While I consider the wobble unsatisfactory engineering, it’s not that it bothers me to the point where I’d go and buy a case because of it. Of course, YMMV.