iTunes not downloading purchases automatically

If I purchase a TV show on iTunes, I want it to download immediately.

In iTunes Preferences, there is a Downloads tab, but it is very clear that it refers to automatic downloads of purchases made on other devices. I don’t care about that, so none of those boxes are checked. I just want shows I purchase on this device to download. What am I doing wrong?

I’m on Mojave with iTunes 12.9.5.5.

Thanks!

The default these days is stream on demand. If you want to download an offline copy you need to right click on the item after you purchase it and and select download. AFAIK there is no option to change the default to download so unfortunately, you’ll have to do it manually every single time.

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t mind doing it manually… and you have solved the problem of how to do it. I don’t know why right-clicking never occurred to me in this context!

I don’t know if there’s any other way of getting at it than right-clicking. I sure hope so, I’ve just never tried. I’ve never been a fan of hiding away things so that only a contextual menu would reveal certain options. That’s always been an annoying Windows thing IMHO.

I don’t have many purchased tv shows or movies, but when I looked on my Mojave machine there was a download control icon (a cloud with an arrow pointing down) that I could use to download an episode.

I see now that in the Big Sur TV app’s Library it’s hidden behind the ellipses icon (which apparently holds the exact same stuff as right-click). Otherwise, menu Video > Download.