iPhone: "The mail server xxx is not responding"

Yesterday I transferred the contents of my wife’s iPhone 5c to a “new” iPhone 8 (using iMazing). New phone works fine, except Mail won’t connect. I get “Cannot Get Mail. The mail server mail.xxx.com is not responding.” Google thows up plenty of other people with this error. The recommended fixes, including Apple’s own instructions, achieve nothing. Such fixes include deleting the acount and recreating it (done it twice); turning off Wi-Fi and on again; and changing the port numbers. The exact same settings continue to work on my wife’s iMac and, with the exception of the account name and password, work on my iPhone. What else can I do?

So I’ve got my own solution. Even though the online instructions say to use Keychain Access to see stored passwords, the stored password turns out to be an old one. After multiple restores, all I had to do was reset the mail password at the server side. Pfft.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what did you exactly end up doing? Set new password on server, then delete the old saved password on iPhone, and then on iPhone when prompted enter new password? Is that it?

Exactly. Simply typed in the new password over the top of the (correct on the previous iPhone) •••••••• on the new iPhone.

2 Likes

Thanks, @mls. It makes me wonder if perhaps the new password server side was not even necessary and what actually cleared it was simply overwriting the iPhone’s password data for that service.