iPhone as Medical Alert Device for Elderly Friend?

I raise this because my relative goes to a University of North Carolina cardiologist and he was very sure that it would complicate things for my relative. My concern would be especially for an elderly person who might fall asleep even during the day and the arm crosses where the pacemaker is, it could be a problem. After 45 years in the pastorate I have seen some pretty weird ways folk fall asleep - and it isn’t always during my sermons lol.

5 Likes

Many thanks for going above and beyond! That’s so useful and clear.

1 Like

My sentiments exactly, about someone falling asleep and having his/her wrist too close to the pacemaker, not necessarily about their doing so during sermons :wink:

1 Like

I had a wonderful Duke doctor who was leaving his GP practice to become and anesthesiologist. I suggest to him he should take a course from me because I was superb at putting people to sleep but he would not learn much from me about waking people up - I was a total failure there :weary::crazy_face: But you are very correct on the earlier comment lol Thanks.

Yet another tip: on the AW under Settings, I would set the font to the largest possible, also in bold. Which makes everything much more legible including texts, emails… In this respect, the series 7 is a huge improvement over earlier versions, at least for my mother’s eyes as well as my own. (That was also true for my father who, alas, passed away not quite 3 months ago at the ripe old age of 97.)

3 Likes

I started wearing an AW after having some weird cardiac rhythm sensations. My wife got very worried and urged me to buy one. Two months later I woke up in the middle of the night because my watch woke me and because I felt terrible. Long story short, I ended the night in ER because of an prolonged Afib tachycardia. After treatment (electrifying experience) I luckily haven’t had any recurrence. I’m still wearing my AW.
However there will never be a device that covers every possible event or hazard. Also the devices are only of value when they are being used (worn) by the user. In case of beginning dementia this is a major drawback.

5 Likes

The new Medications app in the upcoming Watch OS 9 should be great help, too, provided one remembers to wear the AW…

1 Like