iPhone 16 Models Add Camera Control, Prep for Apple Intelligence

I’m intrigued by the Camera button, which is really a one-dimensional trackpad. Seems like a great idea. In fact, I’m a little surprised they didn’t replace the separate volume buttons with something like this. Maybe next year.

I’m still using an 11, which is still fine, really. I have been kind of holding out for the 16. This is hardly an earthshaking upgrade over the 15, but I’m ready to take the plunge.

Beautiful pictures! Would love to see a comparison of the 16 and 16 Pro with subject matter like that.

If you are photo centric - the regular iPhone 16 models do not have Apple ProRaw photo format or Apple ProRes video format. The regular models have a USB-C port that supports USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) speeds where the Pro models have a USB port that is USB 3 speed (10 Gbps). In the box of all models is an “USB Charge Cable”. It is doubtful that the cable meets the criteria for USB 3 speed transfer - I have read that it supports USB 2.0 speeds. In my experience with my iPhone 14 pro, I find the ProRaw captures skies with clouds much better. Some photos get improved shadow detail. These improvements are not as dramatic with those I get from large sensor digital cameras. Because I use the ProRaw format, I often transfer via cable and the process is quite slow via the USB 2 lightning cable.

2 Likes

I can confirm that the “charge cable” included with the 15 series iPhones is not compatible with any data transfer >480 Mbps. So certainly no USB3 or TB. I’m almost certain there will be no change with what is included with the 16 series. It is a very nice lightweight and flexible braided cable, just a shame it’s not really good for anything except charging.

1 Like

It’s perfectly fine for data transfer, just not at a particularly high speed.

1 Like

Exactly, it’s “not really good” at data transfer.

1 Like

It’s perfectly fine.

For those of us with an older model like the iPhone 11 a big reason to upgrade is newer radios (5G + satellite). My iPhone 11 is still a nice enough hand held computer but the radio has fallen behind the available network. Since I anticipate keeping a new iPhone for 4+ years, the amortized cost is a smaller consideration (your budget may vary). Some of the Pro features could come in handy.

Incremental upgrade over a 15 Pro, but of course it would be. In truth I don’t actually need the photography features of a pro, it’s just that Apple never brought lidar and USB 3.2 gen 2 transfer speeds to the standard iPhone. The batteries are better in the pros, too.

I was very briefly tempted by Wi-Fi 7, which is uniquely available across all the 16 models, and which would definitely present a meaningful upgrade on my network. But 6E already gives me the speed I need in my small and well-covered flat, so that can wait for something more material. The standard phones are catching up to the pros, in truth, and I have great hope that this trend will continue. My battery health is 92%, so by next year I’ll probably be keen to consider an upgrade. I prefer strongly to upgrade only when there’s a clear need; for the 15 releases, USB-C was definitely the deciding factor.

I’ve switched from an iPhone X to a 15 Pro Max last year. Originally I contemplated just having a new battery installed in my iPhone X and use it until important apps wouldn’t update anymore but in the end I caved to the vastly better camera on the 15 Pro.

I don’t see any use in Apple Intelligence and am not a professional videographer so unless Apple, at some point in the next few years, comes out with something that is ‘insanely’ better then my phone is now, I might keep on using it until it stops working (and maybe try and best my six year streak with the iPhone X :smiley:)

I’m trying to lean this way as well.

In photographers there’s a well known phenomenon called GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and manufacturers in every sphere are trying to expand it to every product imaginable.

Before I bought my iPhone 14 Pro I had an SE and I’m definitely going to try to stretch this phone out for at least another release cycle.

I’ll never buy a new phone every year but it will save a fair bit if I can stop two year updates and do three or four year update. I doubt I’ll be missing anything except GAS.

Nice review from Jason Snell.