iPhone 12 mini Sales Not Great

A great story well-told. And such a delight to still have parents around to enjoy!

2 Likes

Your reply just reminded me of something else, forever etched in my mind. You know how teenagers have often been frowned upon, as they stare at their phones instead of participating during family gatherings? Well imagine this: my very elderly parents being the only guilty parties, as the whole gang waited to be served at one of their favorite restaurants, in honor of one of their birthdays. Even their (young adult) grandchildren know better…

I’ve heard that at some point in the aging process (soon? Maybe last year??) we all revert to more and more childlike behaviors. That’s one I’ve long discouraged in our kids ( both now with families of their own) but to which I may have already succumbed, once or twice…

Oh, dear. More reports of bad sales:

But all the other iPhone lines are soaring:

Overall, Apple hit the ball out of the park for this quarter.

I’ll be upgrading to one at some point. I do think it’s pricey though. The SE2020 is a hair bigger with less screen real estate from what I remember.

It’s possible Apple kind of missed the mark with this. The original SE seemed to be closer to current offerings but in a small package at a good price.

The SE2020 is a great price but kind of feels like an afterthought i.e. “Oh so they want a cheap phone? Let’s re-do the 8."

The 12 Mini is an awesome phone! But I’d have given up a few features to save even $100.

Before I actually buy one I’ll review both again, it’s been awhile.

I really think they knocked it out of the park with the original SE.

My .02

Diane

It is no doubt an expensive phone. But being cheap is really not the point with the 12 mini. That’s what the SE is for. If your primary concern is inexpensive that’s what you should be looking at. If your primary concern is smallest size, be prepared to pay for it.

The iPhone 12 collection sold like mad, but primarily in China. By comparison, Europe and NA sales were slower, most likely due to the general economic situation the pandemic has put us in. China skews heavily towards large devices so it’s not that big of a surprise the 12 Pro Max did well while the mini was slower. By the time iPhone 13 comes out, the mini will likely be selling at a slightly lower price point ($599?, $649?). By then hopefully the economic situation in NA and Europe will have rebounded somewhat. Longer term, the mini will do just fine.

Apparently, people aren’t.

The mini always seems to be selling well in the future. If only that translated to actual sales.