iOS 17 bug: keyboard vanished

On 17.1.1 and an iPhone 15 I keep observing that when I swipe down on springboard to get the search interface, the keyboard does not display. There is an entry box and a cursor in it, but no keyboard. Just a blank lower screen section where the keyboard would be. Interestingly enough, I can type on that blank area and I’ll see characters inserted into the box, but there is just no visible keyboard. If it’s a simple search I can use dictation instead (microphone icon appears in search box), but when it’s something more complicated, I need a real and visible keyboard. I don’t see the keyboard vanish anywhere else in iOS, just search. Anybody else seen this? Work-arounds?

1 Like

I think I’ve seen this once or twice, but I was moving quickly and did something to work around it. I don’t remember what, though, and when I try to reproduce now, I get the keyboard each time.

1 Like

I have seen it happen consistently since maybe iOS 17.0 (or possibly before?) on an iPhone 14 Pro when a software update has completed or after a power-on. The first login after the power-on shows the login field but no keyboard.

I put the phone to sleep (press on the sidebar) and then tap to login again. Then the keyboard is offered for logging in.

I’ve also seen it consistently (?) on an iPad running iPadOS 16.7 after a power-on.

1 Like

Yep, I have seen this on the iPad in iOS 16.
Comes and goes, so I guess they have not fixed it in 17.

Rich

1 Like

Keyboard appearance used to be very solid for me until iPadOS 17 and now it frequently does not appear at all when a field is made active. Yours looks like a rendering error, which I have not seen but mine is that it is not opened.

I have found that switching apps to anything else and back will usually work. I am using Stage Manager all the time.

There is another bug in that when a Bluetooth mouse is connected (but no keyboard) iPadOS 17 assumes that there is a HW keyboard attached as well, so the on-screen keyboard has to be requested manually every time you need to type - very annoying. I filed a bug report.

1 Like