iOS 17.0.3 Addresses iPhone 15 Overheating Issue and Security Vulnerabilities

iOS 17.0.3 is out. It is a security update that, for me, was quick to download and update. The advice was that it addresses a “warming” issue with some iPhones. I guess it was discoverd when some phones became too hot to hold :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Apparently there was also a zero day security issue fixed by 17.0.3. See Apple emergency update fixes new zero-day used to hack iPhones and About the security content of iOS 17.0.3 and iPadOS 17.0.3 - Apple Support.

Originally published at: iOS 17.0.3 Addresses iPhone 15 Overheating Issue and Security Vulnerabilities - TidBITS

Apple has made good on a promise to update iOS 17 to respond to a bug that could cause overheating, particularly in the iPhone 15. The update also blocks several security vulnerabilities, one of which has been exploited in the wild.

My iPad updated to 17.0.3 overnight. No issues so far but it gave the message that Siri now responds to “Siri” and “Hey Siri”. I had to go to Settings to change it back to just “Hey Siri”. irritating that Apple makes these type of changes as defaults.

iOS 17.0.3 loaded fine on my iPhone 13 mini. No problems as far as I can tell at this time. Also, I’ve seen comments online that my problem with missing custom text tones will likely be fixed in iOS 17.1, but it’s still buggy in its current beta form.

Was this an upgrade from 17.0.2 or from something older?

I saw this change when upgrading from 16.x to 17.0.1. Which I expected, because this was a publicized new feature. It didn’t reset my “Hey Siri” configuration after the subsequent upgrades (17.0.2 and 17.0.3).

Yes - probably occurred going from 16.x to 17.x but I didn’t notice in the few days before I installed 17.0.3. I am currently updating another iPad to 17.0.3 so will check the Siri setting when it is finished.

I didn’t know the heating problem with iOS 17 affected iPads or any iPhones EXCEPT the iPhone 15s. When I updated my iDevices the other day I was only given the option of going to 16.7.

My wife had the same thing…she said she didn’t have 17 available but the update to 16.7 was there and then the 17 one was there after it was done. Since the 17 one was down at the bottom in Software Update…she said she might have missed it but doesn’t think so.

iOS 17.03 also corrected a CarPlay connection issue with my 2018&19 Honda Accords and my iPhones 12 & 13Pro. iOS 16.6 or 16.7 caused my CarPlay to stop working. 17.03 restored the connection!