iOS 15.4.1, iPadOS 15.4.1, macOS 12.3.1 Monterey, and Siblings Fix Bugs and Security Vulnerabilities

Since buying two new mini 13s (love 'em!) and having removed the SIM cards from the old 2016 SEs, I charged both SEs up to 100% 24 hours ago.
My wife’s SE (battery always good despite installing 15.4.1 with battery health at 88%) has gone down to 80% and mine to 76%, so sans SIMs they perform almost as expected. It makes me dubious of the claim that the battery health indicator cannot be relied upon. It’s as if some networking process that required a SIM in place was constantly running in the background on my phone.
I’m aware of the advice that says to allow the phone a week to stabilise after an update.

Hi Adam,
Apple support didn’t come through with any sort of discount on a repair. I decided to take it into my local Apple Store. The Genius Bar guy also couldn’t get it to do a factory reset, so it looked like I was stuck. But miracle of miracles he found out that they still had a brand new one in stock (the last one in fact) and offered to give me that for the price of the repair ($279, a little cheaper than the original price). Since I like the sound a lot more than then HomePod mini, I grabbed it (they kept the old one). Not a great ending, but I’m happy since I really did want the big version, and now I have a brand new one.

2 Likes

I don’t know when, but apparently Monterey added a terminal command to test network speed. (Sorry if this was already covered in a TidBITS article, but I don’t recall so.)

1 Like

Thanks for this! Very easy and helpful for :sweat_smile: the Terminally challenged.

I bet some smart person has put a little script together to make it pretty.

No, we hadn’t covered it yet, though we’ve discussed it on our internal Slack.