iOS 14/15 Phone/Watch Update Experience

I am curious as to why iPhone, and Apple watch software does not actually indicate
in their software update alerts/notices: to which versions and sequence these devices should be updated to in order to complete the latest updates, and upgrade.
I eventually gleaned from the internet that iOS 15 is required before updating the watch
to version 8.
The only notice the watch software and iPhone Watch App mentions is simply, or basically, update before updating. Not really an intuitively helpful process.
Which leads me to my other question … How’s it going with the new iOS 15, should one, as usually advised, wait for iOS 15.1 before updating the watch??
I am sort of eager to see what Watch 8 adds to features on my watch. But a bit hesitant on the iOS 15 “Upgrade

Same here with iOS15 (not much help to you, I’m afraid!)

Most of the complaints about iOS 15 are about features which are unlikely to change with 15.1. There are some bugs, many of which will undoubtedly be fixed shortly, but none of them affect my use of 15/8 on my iPhone 7, iPad Pro 10.5" or Watch series 4.

I have the latest for iOS, iPadOS, and WatchOS. No issues.

My iPhone is a brick under iOS 15!

I’ve had an iPhone 7 for 7 years; I’ve always upgraded from iOS to V12 and then resisted for V13.

But a site I visit a lot asked for V13 and I gave in.

I quickly regretted it because my phone’s response times have increased by a factor of 5 to 7; for example, I take a photo and it takes me 15 seconds to see it in focus, which means that in the heat of the moment, it’s impossible to control what you’re doing.

I’ve been to two Apple Stores in Paris:

• the first little genius told me “it’s because the battery doesn’t have enough power and the phone goes into economy mode”; I replied “the battery didn’t collapse in fifteen minutes, the time it took to update, check it”; there was nothing wrong with the battery or the phone at all

• the second said “The version upgrades highlight the weaknesses of your device to encourage you to have it repaired”; I replied “The processor didn’t destroy itself in fifteen minutes, the time it took to update, check it; it’s a marketing pitch”; she added “I’m a technician, I’m the one who opens them; it’s like if you do several version upgrades at once, the device has a lot to learn all at once and it gets tired”.

These poor geniuses are pitifully incompetent…

In my opinion, the truth is that new versions of software introduce new commands that are adapted to new processors, but which are undoubtedly more difficult for older processors to process, and Apple doesn’t leave commands compatible with older processors, which leads to stalling after a while. It’s really programmed obsolescence!

It is interesting to note that the major software programs are not backwards compatible on more than one or two OS versions, while other, more modest programs work perfectly well: Autopano abandoned 4 years ago, Vuescan,…

This link confirms the slowness:

though it’s been years since a new version of iOS made older devices feel intolerably slow, which is one reason we aren’t testing iOS 15 on old devices like we usually do)

Until last month I had an iPhone 7. I kept it as up-to-date as possible, which was iOS 15.7, I think.
After an update, it would spend time re-indexing things (Spotlight?) and would be slow. But after a couple of days it was fine.

If free memory is low, it could make the phone slow. Try deleting apps and data, such as unused documents, photos, and videos.

I hope this helps!

I have 13 GB free, it should be enough!

I’ll have to do it, it doesn’t take much, but there’s no practical way of managing it: ideally I’d like to be able to do it from the Mac.

Yes, 13 GB should be enough.
Good luck!

At this point being up to iOS16 I have either figured out how to sort out which chicken or egg comes first, or maybe Apple is making it more clear. I think Watch now prompts to update to the latest iOS rather than simply alerting that Watch OS update failed.