iOS 12 iPhone Battery Life

Has there been a thread on this yet? I updated on Tuesday and felt my battery life has gotten worse. Today it was confirmed. I got up at 5:15 to shovel. It’s now 7:30 and my battery is at 72%. The worst thing that happened was my silent sleep alarm went off for 30 minutes before I pulled it out of my pocket. It was in my pocket for an hour while shoveling, then on the counter in the house. No calls came in, no texts and one weather notification. I closed out all my apps last night after finding it at 1% when I went to bed.

Battery health is 85% which it’s been at for awhile.

iPhone SE, iOS 12.1

Diane

Recent iOS updates have been known to change a lot of settings, so you’ll need to check around and see if anything has changed from what you had previously setup.

Pay partiular attention to apps you allow to run in background.

Also see what apps have been drawing the most energy and check focus on their settings.

-Al-

I usually do that right away (and did) but of course I can check again.

Screen time said I had 1 minute use on the home screen in that 2 hour time frame.

A hard reboot brought it back to 84%, but it’s back down t0 80% after the phone rang.

Diane

If there is an issue with battery life (I notice no difference in my iPhone X or iPad Mini 4 from iOS 11), one thing to consider is to turn off Screen Time and see if that makes a difference, particularly if the data it is collecting is not critical to you. You can always turn it back on. I’ve seen anecdotal reports that this improves battery life in a noticeable way.

Remember that this is counter-productive for extending battery life in most situations. If you force-quit apps, you make iOS expend more resources as you relaunch apps. If it was an emergency and you needed only one app to work until you could get to power, it might help a little, but it won’t in normal usage.

1 Like

Any application that uses location services or is active in the background using RF connections (Cellular, WiFi, BlueTooth) can be a problem in power usage. This is why quitting map programs, among others, is my recommendation.

That’s true, but only if the app is badly behaved and you haven’t stopped its usage appropriately. For instance, if you get directions in Google Maps to a location but go somewhere else so you never actually arrive, you need to stop the navigation yourself. You could force-quit the app, but that’s unnecessary.

Force-quitting should be done only for crashed apps. You don’t force-quit apps on the Mac regularly, and you shouldn’t do it in iOS either.

Adam - I didn’t know that.

James - I had a couple of weather apps and Maps open.

I’m just hoping the phone is still sorting itself out after the update. The drain is really crazy right now.

Diane

Any application that uses location services or is active in the background using RF connections (Cellular, WiFi, BlueTooth) can be a problem in power usage.

Which is why I don’t allow such apps to be active in the background and recommended that Diane check that setting.

This is why quitting map programs, among others, is my recommendation.

But will never be mine.

-Al-

I’m glad you’ve brought this up - I thought you should close out apps if you aren’t using them (on a phone). Is that with older operating systems?

Is there a way to close vs force-quit?

It’s sometimes hard to keep up with the changes from version to version.

Diane

I’m not sure it was ever actually recommended, but certainly not optimal for any recent iOS.

Well then I’m glad I always forget to do it and will carry on the way I always have :slight_smile:

Diane

As suggested, I turned off Screen Time. My phone’s been off the charger for 2.5 hours and is still at 100%. I’ll turn it back on tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Diane

Does anyone have any insight into why the App Store is such a big battery drain under iOS 12? I get precipitous battery drops whenever I choose to update apps. I don’t recall the App Store being such an energy hog previous to iOS 12. I’m using an iPhone 6s.

David

I’m curious about all these “precipitous drop” complaints. Settings/Battery will identify who is using how much battery life, and if there isn’t any clear culprit there, then I wonder how many of these result from an “old” battery. Battery Health will tell how much of its original capacity it can attain with a full charge. I’ve observed problems in my own and my friends’ iPhones if it’s much below 90%. Might it be time to install a new battery?

1 Like

I started a thread on this a while ago. My “Battery Health” shows my iPhone 6S battery as 86% as it always has since it was introduced in iOS! Apple are NOT addressing this issue IMHO.

I and others are really curious at what battery health percentage problem might occur. It’s easy to ask people to check their battery health percentage, but what behaviors should we ask about? Not making it to the end of the day in normal usage? Regular precipitous drops for no apparent reason? Anything else?

My battery capacity is at 89%. I don’t think that’s particularly low. I had the original battery replaced by Apple just over two years ago when there were battery problems with the 6 and 6s shutting down unannounced when the charge level got low. As for the culprit, I have identified it on my phone: it’s the App Store app and this behaviour started with iOS 12.

HI Adam

I'd suggest that a metric that could be used is whether an iPhone dies overnight and thus becomes useless as an alarm clock Adam. Due to the death of both my 2011 MBPs I've been unable to keep my Battery Health spreadsheet upto date. Could TidBits provide a means to populate a database with user's metrics such as the (entirely fallacious) iOS "Battery Health" %?

Mine has been at 85% since Apple checked it in May.

Diane