Install MacOS Sierra question

I have Sierra on two of my machines and wanted to install it on the third. But it does not show up in the Purchases tab of the App Store app.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to get it anymore?

You can call me grumpy.

Same for me on High Sierra. MAS does not display it under purchased.

The link below has a fix. In short: search for Sierra in the MAS. Then hit download.

No idea what advantage this is supposed to have over just showing it under purchases like any other downloaded app. Even if it’s no longer signed, it would easy for MAS to know if you have already downloaded it (or if you’re actually running it) and then display the link under purchased. For not so savvy users this is totally confusing as illustrated by the gazillion google hits for this question.

I think I found my answer on Apple Support. One page said MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) and later will not show up in Purchases. Seems dumb to me, but that’s Apple software for you. They are a hardware vendor as opposed to software. I guess that explains it.

Note for the future:

In Mojave (I’m running the beta on one of my machines), System Software updates do not show up in the App Store, but tin the Software Update Preference Panel.

It worked. Thank You. Still doing secondary updates. Over 3 hours now. I suspect it will take 4 by the time I am done.

Just another Apple solution in search of a problem. As usual it only makes sense to insiders who are typically clueless about how their decisions affect users. And far be it from them to explain it to us. As usual it’s just lump it or leave it. I saved the link with my Sierra notes so I don’t have to look it up again if I need it.

I’m afraid Sierra was pretty much a failure. As soon as I went to run ToastDVD, it aborted. So I tried ToastTitanium16, which is supposed to work. It went through all the motions and then failed to burn. The trackball stopped working. So I reinstalled from the Yosemite clone and all those things are working again.

I suspect a hardware/software incompatibility with the 2012 Mac Mini. I’ve had it happen before but it is hard to confirm. I know my newer Mac Mini had hardware incompatibilities with some of the accessories that do work on the older unit.

But the hardest thing was that Backblaze safety froze the backup. Restarting that is not exactly intuitive. Even the instructions are confusing. It is still processing so we will see later.

I still have to test the EyeTV HD recording abilities but it should work.

At least I got my iPhone OS updated. Anyone know of a good replacement for the app Glyder fro Glu?

John

John

John Burt wrote: “I’m afraid Sierra was pretty much a failure.”

Sierra should work on a 2012 Mini, but particular apps may well not. Did you do the install on top of Yosemite, or was it a clean install? Sometimes clean installs are worthwhile, even though it’s a pita to get everything back again. But it will clear out scads of old cruft that may cause hard to diagnose problems.

If you don’t want to try again with a clean install to Sierra, I suggest that you try an El Capitan upgrade. It’s an improvement over Yosemite and is still getting security updates (until autumn). Even once it’s no longer supported, it will still have had a year’s worth of important updates compared to Yosemite. And older apps that have trouble with Sierra may still work with it.

gastropod
https://talk.tidbits.com/u/gastropod?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid%20email&utm_medium=email
July 16

If you don’t want to try again with a clean install to Sierra, I suggest
that you try an El Capitan upgrade. It’s an improvement over Yosemite and
is still getting security updates (until autumn). Even once it’s no longer
supported, it will still have had a year’s worth of important updates
compared to Yosemite. And older apps that have trouble with Sierra may
still work with it.

​I wanted to try El Capitan but I never “purchased” it so don’t have
access.

BTW, the EyeTV HD still works and I eventually gave up on inheriting my old
Backblaze backup and started a new one.​ Time consuming but much simpler.

You can still download El Capitan even if it’s not in your purchased list.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht206886

Thank you. I will give that a try after I’m sure everything is operating, stable and backed up, including a new clone.

Note this sentence restricting who can use this specific version of the EC installer:

If your Mac doesn’t support High Sierra, or you’re using Snow Leopard or Lion and would like to upgrade to High Sierra…

I’ve heard from users in the past that they were unable to use that download to install it over Yosemite.

-Al-

Doug. I finally got around to trying the El Capitan install link. The Apple App refused to install it. Thanks for the link though.

there are [cough] other ways [cough] of getting a usable El Capitan Installer [cough]; message me directly [cough] so I don’t infect [cough] everyone with my sudden cough.

I don’t know how to “message” in Google. But I don’t think it matters anymore. Sierra seems to work on most of my computers and even 10.10 did not work fully correctly on the other one so I doubt 10.11 would work.

I’m not entirely clear if your problems are satisfactorily resolved; I get the impression the 2012 mini is still a problem, and if you still want to try El Cap, just click on my avatar on this message, then click ‘Message’, and it’s possible [cough] I might be able to provide a link to an installer that works for your experiments. The 2012 supports 10.8 through to 10.13, so there’s no conceivable reason you should not be able to install 10.11 if desired. You can always test by creating a 100GB temporary volume on your internal drive.

I suspect, now that I think about your post fragments, that there is nothing wrong with the El Cap installer you have; but that perhaps you tried to run the El Cap installer while booted from Sierra (or higher); you will indeed then receive a message that it isn’t possible to install (a stupidly misleading message by a sloppy Apple of this new era).

If you instead create an El Capitan installer disk, either on a thumb drive, or on a temporary 16GB partition on your internal drive, once booted from a pure El Cap Installer, you can select any available drive/volume you wish to install El Cap – but you cannot simply downgrade an existing Sierra volume; you would need to first erase and then restore from backup (if desired). You could also boot from an older-than-El-Cap volume (or of course, another El Cap volume), and run the El Cap Installer from there.

If you need further help on how to create an El Cap install disk, I’m happy to help.

HTH

OS X 10.11 - El Capitan
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886