How to remove a request to load kext

This message appears every time I startup my MBP 14 (Monterey). I assume it is a legacy from having EyeTV installed in the past on my old MBP (2012) which was migrated to the new laptop. I have removed every file associated with EyeTv (and Elgato) except for the EyeConnect log which displays the following message:

‘Bonjour | static Boolean UECBonjour::BonjourBookmarkInstallIntern(tBonjourServiceStruct *)]: Bonjour service “EyeTV mbp14” could not be registered.’

This occurred after I enabled kernel extensions in the Startup Security Utility to install the latest version of Audio Hijack.

This way way past my skill level. I assume there is a startup instruction somewhere (maybe in a plist), but I don’t know how to find it, let alone remove it. I don’t want to use EyeTv on this machine.

Any help on removing the ‘instruction’ would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - John

This dialog is popping up because you need to explicitly authorize kernel extensions.

If you click on Open Security Preferences, you will be brought to a page where you can click an Allow button to permit it to load. You won’t see the error message ever again. See also About system extensions and macOS - Apple Support.

Ideally, the way to uninstall a kernel extension is to run an uninstallation utility that came with it. But you may not have that option.

To manually delete the kernel extension (possibly because you no longer use the associated hardware), here’s what you should do:

• Open up the System Information utility (option-click the Apple menu and select System Information…)
  • In the left-side bar, click on the Software → Extensions item.
  • Wait for the extensions list to populate (it may take a minute or so)
  • Scroll down the list to locate the extension you want to remove.
    • The Obtained From column will be very helpful here. It will let you quickly identify those from an “Identified Developer” (that is, third-party), since you probably don’t care about and don’t want to touch anything that came from Apple.
  • When you click on an extension, locate the Location line in its description. This is the location of the .kext itself. A .kext. is a directory/package, similar to an application.
    • For example, the VirtualBox virtual network adapter kernel extension is /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetAdp.kext:

Once you have correctly identified the extension you want to uninstall, drag it to the trash and reboot.

6 Likes

Worked a treat, thanks very much. Appreciated the well written instructions.

Interesting. I’m on Big Sur (2014 iMac, doesn’t support Monterey) and to delete a kext file I have to disable System Integrity Protection first. This is probably because I have FileVault enabled. Is Monterey different?

I suspect it depends on which kext you’re talking about.

Ones from Apple probably are protected while others (e.g. the ones VirtualBox installs) won’t be.

In the case of the OP, we’re talking about a kext that wasn’t actually installed, because he never authorized it, so that probably made the process even easier.

In my case it was a kext installed by the Leawo music recorder. I deleted the app but had to use csrutil to disable system protection before deleting the kext.

I have gotten random prompts to authorize legacy extensions ever since they were pronounced “Legacy,” that I have been unable to determine what was even requesting them. I got a familiar one today, “JMicronATA.kext.” But again couldn’t figure out what was requesting it. Nothing claims responsibility in Security & Privacy. Poking around I noticed something interesting. Under Monterey, I have hundreds of .kexts according to System Information. Maybe 1/3 of them are loaded. In my Sonoma installation, there about the same number, but none of them are loaded.

Are *.kext" files finally orphaned? I can not find any up-to-date info from Apple.

Great that the above tips worked.
My understanding is that the EyeTV app has (had?) an EyeTV Helper extension that loaded on boot up. It appeared in Activity Monitor (comes with macOS in Applications/Utility). You can use Activity Monitor to view a list of files used by the extension. Before deleting these legacy files you might need to use Activity Monitor to stop the EyeTV Helper process.
A similar method might work for the JMicron issue.

According to Sonoma “System Information,” there are over 700, unusable extensions (*.kext) in /System/Library/Extensions, etc. wasting >450 MB of space. None of them are “Loaded.” In fact, all but around 30 of them are flagged “Loadable: No” and of those all but a half-dozen have “Dependency Resolution Failures” or other validation errors.

And of course, even w/ SIP disabled, they can’t be deleted.

For someone whose first computer was an Osborne, this is an appalling waste of resources. Furthermore, if something this easy to cleanup is present, how much more storage is being wasted?