How to manage bookmarks across different browsers

I have been using URL Manager for ever. It permits me to save bookmarks in a central location and find it in Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.
In worked fine until High Sierra. It has hicups in Mojave and won’t work in the next iteration of OSX because it is 32 bit
What alternatives do I have. How do I save all my bookmarks in one browser and keep it synchronized with other browsers, or better still what alternative app is there
Thank you

Not a perfect or even smooth solution but it is device and browser independent.

You might find something that will fit your needs here:

<http://sheepsystems.com/products/>

I am a longtime, happy user of BookMacster but have not tried the other bookmark apps from this developer. Very responsive to support requests.

Gord

I, too, used URL Manager for years, but have migrated to Pinboard and not looked back.

https://pinboard.in/faq/

I have been happily using BookMacster for years supporting multiple machines, versions of Safari, and Firefox. It still works fine in 10.14.2.

I bit the bullet last year and purchased Devonthink Office Pro, abet expensive. However it does it all and is a solution for paperless offices, handles bookmarks very well and works will all popular browsers. It is basically a somewhat configurable relational database that indexes and catalogues everything you put into it and takes scanes from within it using Image Capture with your scanner into a searchable PDF. Now I no longer have to deal with a half dozen different Apps that get abandoned, subscriptions or any of that other stuff. It just works and works reliably .

1 Like

Agree. DEVONThink Pro is transformative, in the tradition of the best Mac software. It not only radically shifts how you work, it shifts how you think about your data, and hence how you think. Once you have a single powerful go-to store for all your information, there’s no going back to the old fragmentation. It’s not expensive, it’s great value.

1 Like

Does it use a proprietary format? I always worry about stuff being lost if the company disappears, stops updating etc.

Diane

You might find discussion here useful: http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1733321/move-sync-data-devonthink-database-software.html

All files are stored within DTP’s package-type files, in their original format. For access, use the command “show package contents” and look for the “Files.noindex” folder, where all your original data files that were imported into DTP are stored. I agree with your concerns on data safety, so this is a big plus for me.

Anyway, DevonThink has been around for around 15 years or so now, so I think they might be stable.

@jweil - curious if you can expand on how Devonthink handles bookmarks and how you use it as part of your workflow? i understand the files/ pdfs/ image capture - though unsure how general browsing/ everyday use Devonthink would be the primary as a ‘browser’. TIA

Once bookmarks are saved in DevonThink (DT). they can be organized, tagged, sorted, etc. I keep them in a separate database. DT can handle multiple databases. Clicking on a bookmark entry opens it. They can also be searched with Spotlight.

Can you select the browser to open them with?

Quite often I have to search for my bookmark in Safari - it doesn’t find it if I start typing it in, yet it is there.

Diane

It has its own built-in but by right clicking and choosing ‘Open With’ you can select any installed browser.

“Open with” works, but you can also add the command “Open Externally” to the toolbar so that you have a button to choose to open whatever stored file with its default program (such as Safari for bookmarks, BBedit for text files, etc.). The button name changes to show the appropriate default program i.e. “Open with BBedit”, “Open with Safari” etc.

There are lots of apps for storing notes and documents, such as Apple’s Notes, Keep It, Tap Forms, etc. They can also be used to store and organize URLs.

Consider using EagleFiler from C-Command Software. I have used it daily for several years.

https://c-command.com/eaglefiler

I put the file on DropBox, and sync across multiple macs. From the homepage: EagleFiler is a digital filing cabinet, a research assistant, snippet collector, and document organizer. You can use it to write a journal, track all the files for a project or job, manage your bookmarks, save your favorite Web articles, store financial statements and receipts, run a paperless office, plan a trip, collect your course notes, archive your e-mail correspondence, search mailing list archives, research a purchase, remember recipes to cook or books to read, store scientific papers, sort photos, gather legal case notes, or assemble a scrapbook.

As a longtime user of URL Manager Pro, I was looking for alternatives as Alco Blom conspicuously silent about whether or not their would be a 64-bit version. I have had no luck finding something that matches what URLMP does so well, so it is with much delight that I see Alco had posted last month in the Yahoo group that he is indeed working on it!

Dear Users,

Thanks for all your support and emails.

I can confirm that there will be a 64-bit version of URL Manager Pro. I think and hope it will be ready just in time, that is to say around October, just after the next major release of macOS.

At the moment, I am programming the update of Web Confidential (the password manager) and that update is expected to be ready next month, after which I will fully concentrate on URL Manager Pro. I started with Web Confidential with the rewrite (64-bit), because that is a smaller program and easier to start with. Some code is shared between the two, so some work for URL Manager Pro is now already done. It looks really good. Probably, Web Confidential will be released next month.

The applications are rewritten from the ground up, which means they will be more stable, using new technologies and it will be easier now in the future to add new features from upcoming macOS releases.

I’ll try to keep the list informed about the progress I am making.

Best regards,

Alco Blom

2 Likes

Just an update Alco Blom posted at Yahoo Groups about Web Confidential, one of the earliest password managers for the Mac.

Alco Blom Jun 20 6:50 AM

Dear List,

I’d like to share with the list the fact that the other project I am working on is now almost finished and that URL Manager Pro will now soon have my full attention.

The other project is my password manager Web Confidential. It has also been rewritten from the ground up and I also added a little support for AppleScript. It adds new Apple technologies like Touch ID, Touch Bar and Popovers. It is a simple app, easy to use, and powerful and 64-bit, of course.

It is not only handy for organising passwords, but for organising all kinds of sensitive information, like PIN codes, software keys etc.

Many password managers use a subscription model, but Web Confidential does not. It is just a one-time purchase (25 USD).

If you would like to have a look, Web Confidential 5 beta is available here:

Release Notes

Thanks,

Alco Blom

Alco Blom has been actively working on URL Manager Pro, and it is now in a beta release state:

From the Yahoo Group List:
Alco Blom
Today at 4:26 AM

Dear List,

I just uploaded URL Manager Pro 5.0b3.

• added Scan Text and Scan Clipboard command to the Import menu
  • fixed a bug in Grab All
  • modified toolbar icons

Please download:

https://www.url-manager.com/download/URLManagerPro5.0b3.zip

Thanks,

Alco.