How to automate toggling the iPhone 14 Pro's Always-On display?

Is there a way to automate toggling the Always-On feature on iPhone 14 Pro?

It’s a good question, and not one I know the answer to at this point. But I want it too—when I go to bed, I have an audiobook playing in Libby for 15 minutes, but I don’t want the screen on at all. I can set a Focus to make the wallpaper entirely black, but the clock still lights up the room a little. The screen turns off completely on its own at some point since it’s not on when I get up in the morning, but I haven’t yet found any way to control that setting other than manually in Settings > Display & Brightness. There’s no command for it in Shortcuts, unfortunately, though there is one for the Apple Watch’s Always-On screen.

You can turn it face down and the screen goes off I read someplace.

Which evokes the existential question (a la the refrigerator light bulb): If it is face down, how do you know the screen is off? :grin:

1 Like

Because Apple says so I reckon.

According to Apple Support:

Always-On display goes dark when you don’t need it. To save battery life, the display is completely dark when:

• Your iPhone is lying face down
  • Your iPhone is in your pocket or bag
  • Sleep Focus is on
  • Low Power Mode is on
  • Your iPhone is connected to CarPlay
  • You’re using Continuity Camera
  • You haven’t used your iPhone for a while (your iPhone learns your activity patterns and turns the display off and on accordingly, including if you set up an alarm or sleep schedule)
  • Your iPhone detects that you moved away from it with a paired Apple Watch (Always-On display will turn on when your Apple Watch is close to your iPhone again)

So, it appears that setting Sleep Focus On will kill the display. My iPhone 14 Pro doesn’t arrive until next month, so I can’t test this yet.

Setting Sleep Focus on does not stop audio already playing. I generally start a calming playlist before going to sleep and use Siri to set a timer to turn it off in 30 minutes. Via my Apple Watch, I turn on Sleep Focus. The music continues playing but does turn off in 30 minutes. So, I suspect that all you need to do is turn on Sleep Focus.

4 Likes

Ah, good sleuthing—hadn’t had a chance to search yet. Since I find Focus rather overkill and don’t care about sleep tracking, I just use Do Not Disturb for nighttime. Switching to a Sleep in Focus should fix this—trying tonight.

So I guess “Always On” is not always on. They should have called it, “On, most of the time.”

iOS has forever had an “always on” option, in the sense that you can force the iPhone to not shut off until it runs out of power.
Settings > Display and Brightness > Auto-Lock > Never
What we got now is just more granularity. IMHO that’s more control, not less. And I say that as somebody who still doesn’t know what he’d accomplish with AOD.

Acronym Finder has 92 verified definitions for AOD
Yours is not one of them :smile:

I agree with you on both these points, but really like Sleep Focus at night nonetheless. It’s not doing anything fancy for me, but the display in Sleep Mode is more suitable and having it turn on automatically around 30 min before my bedtime means I’m less likely to get sucked into something because of a notification.

There was an article elsewhere about how going esim only should push US providers to start offering esim.

Honestly, I think the “garish clock font” on the Lock Screen is Apple’s way of reminding/nudging users to use the Lock Screen customisation features.

And the Always On Screen settings encourages/nudges people to use Focus feature.