How I Learned To Love Quicken Deluxe and Give Up on the Past

2 posts were split to a new topic: Running an M1 Mac mini as a headless server

Great thread!

After a long time using Quicken 2007 on my G4 PowerPC, I hit the dreaded “Transaction File is Full” error yesterday on one of my files, which has pushed me to find a solution. Since I’m a reluctant upgrader, my other (“modern”) Mac is a mid-2007 iMac running El Capitan. As the new Quicken only supports the last three OS versions, if I want to upgrade to Quicken 2022 I’ll need to buy a machine capable of running Catalina or newer.

Before I make that investment (and leap!), I need to figure out if Q2022 is going to do what I need it to do. I’ve read this article and the subsequent comment thread in its entirety, and I have just a few questions. Assuming I buy a new iMac and subscribe to Q2022:

1. Will I be able to take a copy of my G4 PPC Q2007 data file, put it on an HFS+ flash drive, and use that on the new iMac to to convert to Q2022?

2. Will all my categories and sub-categories remain intact? (I don’t (at least not yet) use online connectivity to download transactions, I do them manually.)

3. Is there a software-architecture based “transaction limit” in Q2022, similar to the one I ran into in Q2007?

4. I use Balance Sheet reporting (as well as Income Statements, noted in the thread). Can I accomplish this in Q2022?

5. This seems silly, but if I import my entire data file, will I be able to access all transactions, and use them in reporting? Or are transactions older than a certain date “locked out” somehow?

My alternative to taking this route is to create a new “blank” Quicken 2007 file with all my categories and accounts intact, beginning with transactions dated 01/01/22, and make opening-day balance adjustments, and continue on using my G4 and Q2007. Now, I’m not opposed to doing so, if it is indeed my best option, but I’d really like a longer-term, more “stable” solution.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

In my experience, upgrading from O7 to 22, the data file is upgraded/converted intact. I lost no accounts, categories, classes, notes etc. My transactions go back to 1993 and everything is there. I enter all transactions, I do not download credit card or investment transactions so I cannot speak to that. I did need to reformat my reports but they are easily customized, as they were in past versions. All in all I found the transition easy. There are visual changes but it functions essentially the same. Also, the old data files remain in addition to the converted files. And old quicken app also remains, so you can experiment with 22 if you wish before making the leap.

1 Like

Very quick question for @glennf (or anyone else who may be able to answer). If you see my query just above you will see what I’m trying to do.

From reading the thread, it seems Glenn successfully moved his data from PowerPC architecture to Intel architecture. Can Glenn (or anyone) tell me how they did it?

I’m having trouble importing a Q2007 .qdfm data file from my PowerPC to my new iMac. I have successfully rebuilt the database, made a .qdfm copy using “Make A Copy” onto an HFS+ thumbdrive, and moved it over to my new iMac. It uploads to the Quicken icloud, converts, and seemingly downloads, but gives me an error on importing.

Thinking it may be because it’s an old, large data file, I went back to my PowerPC and created a brand new Q2007 data file with two accounts and two register entires each. Same error.

Any guidance or info would be appreciated!

Did you compress it as a ZIP file before moving it? That seems to be key.

Hi Glenn, and thank you for the quick response.

I did compress the file to ZIP, then moved it to the new iMac (Intel / Monterey) via HFS+ thumb drive, with the same result.

To clarify what I think I read, were you successfully able to move a PowerPC .qdfm data file to an Intel iMac, and have “new” Quicken import it? Or did you use another step between, like perhaps importing to an older version of Quicken?

Also, it appears there was an Intel-native version of Q2007; I’m wondering if that would help with my data translation.

Quicken 202* can directly import Quicken 2007 files—you don’t need to export. I’d forgotten that. There’s a cloud-conversion stage you must given permission to, as it uploads your file transiently to the cloud to perform it. I’m sorry that I just don’t remember any more than is in the article, though: it was complicated, it worked, and I dumped the knowledge from my brain after writing this, apparently. Good luck!

2 Likes

To answer some of your questions:
I was able to upload MOST of my Q7 file, but it failed miserably on my investments, importing only about a year’s worth. I don’t know if I fumbled something or if Quicken Deluxe did not like the way I had the files structured. In other areas, it was able to import data back to 2000.

Your categories and sub-categories will remain intact. However, if you try downloading transactions – which I find very convenient – you will have to override the categories Quicken imports from banks and credit cards, which have their own codes.

I know of no problem with accessing all transactions except the investments which Quicken Deluxe hosed.

While I am annoyed with some parts of Quicken Deluxe, I can’t recommend staying with a badly outdated financial problem that you can only run on an outdated Mac.

1 Like