Hosting reccomendation

MCH does both. But all of my domains are with Hover.
Yes, iWeb is obsolete, but she knows how to use it until I rebuild her site using Blocs.
I finally escaped Adobe and Dreamweaver and have been living the highlife using Blocs.
Great tool, no subscriptions, can build right from the start without having to buy extras…lots of help in the forums…very happy with this app.

I can end with MCH pretty damn fast. Just move my site to PAIR and repoint. I could do that tomorrow and just walk away from MCH. Which I am very tempted to do.

Rich

Many years ago I used iWeb to create numerous pages on Apple’s Mobile Me hosting service. When that service ceased I simply moved the pages to a new host and i still use iWeb for occasional updates.
iWeb has many clever features but the HTML that it creates is not easily ported to another webpage editor so converting to another app is not really an option. Another limitation of iWeb is that it is 32 bit and so won’t run under Catalina+.
So the dinosaurs live on (as birds) :slight_smile:

I never used it, but my wife did. We will move away, but need to use it for now. Waiting for a contact from PAIR. All I want to know is can she use it to upload her files?

Rich

Not sure if this will help you but…

iWeb works on a local file that is effectively encrypted. It used to “publish” the newly created or edited web pages directly to Mobile Me. However it can also publish the pages to a local folder. This is how I now use it:

• Edit web pages with iWeb
  • “Publish” to a local folder (the resulting files are HTML)
  • Use an FTP app (e.g. Transmit) to copy the updated webpage files to the host server
1 Like

iWeb should also allow you to publish/upload directly to an ftp server. It’s been years since I used it, but this is what I did.

Michael:

Since I am not familiar with the app, this is a tremendous amount of help.
Thank you!

Rich

In addition to privacy concerns, my problem with Gmail is that its IMAP implementation is non-standard. This makes a little bit of weirdness sometimes with Apple Mail. I manage my own just fine, but as a consultant I find people having issues with it, especially the All Mail box (which, last time I looked, you could kind of turn off in your Gmail settings, but most people don’t know that.) My knowledge about this may not be totally up-to-date, however.

I’m trying to help a couple of nonprofit business clients choose a new mail provider (not web site hosting). Unsurprisingly, they’re getting very frustrated with Network Solutions and its abysmal customer support and ongoing certificate issues. One of these clients uses almost all PCs, the other all Macs.

One consultant we reached out to is apparently pretty PC-centric. He says he only works with Gmail and Microsoft Office365. Neither of those sits very well with me, based on my exclusively Mac-based experience. However, it’s not my decision and I’m only gathering information. One of our requirements is good customer support so Google is out :slight_smile:

As for Microsoft, my experience is rather stale but I remember that Microsoft mail service was not very Apple Mail friendly. Is it still Exchange? Has it improved in terms of working with Mail?

I’m going to second and third my earlier recommendations of Pair in this thread. We’ve been using their services for over 20 years with no complaints. Another plus is that the prices are relatively fair.

1 Like

One of my clients did a MS365/Outlook/Exchange thing and it was miserable to setup with my Sierra version of Apple Mail. To the point where, when we had to change the password, I had to delete it from Mail and was never able to get it setup again.

I moved one of my accounts to Scala hosting last fall and they were wonderful. I’ve had no issues so far.

Pair was also high on my list.

Diane

All the tidbits members that chimed in on the original post for hosting services helped me choose Pair. I am 100% satisfied. Thanks

1 Like

Google is changing their policy towards email clients. You should look into this if you use apple mail as a google email client. They are stopping 3rd party mail clients from receiving mail. When and what the particulars are -I don’t remember. It’s happening in the coming months.

1 Like

I’m mostly satisfied with Bluehost (10 yrs.), but their tech support is pretty lame (phone/chat with somewhat long queues, initial contact with Tier 0.5 rep and hard to escalate). I couldn’t tell from the Prime web site whether they support direct (e.g. ssh/scp) connections with your server, the ability to schedule jobs (cron/cpanel), etc. How would you rate their tech support, and do you know whether they offer the “hands on” tools mentioned?

I’ve been using Dreamhost for a decade+, and they’ve been great.

I’ve also used https://forestry.io/ for static sites using Hugo, but they support a bunch of other static site generators. They have a free plan, and support a bunch of hosting options (like back to Github etc).

I found this discussion about the new gmail security requirements: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253715964
It appears you’ll need to delete your gmail accounts in your email app (Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.), then recreate them, at which time you’ll be directed to sign-in to gmail via a web browser. After you authenticate, your mail app can access your email accounts as before.

2 Likes

I’m reopening this topic because I just inherited the ‘webmaster’ job for a small non-profit and found the hosting/domain name fees are coming due in Jan. The service is FatCow and the fees seem high at over $230/year. We just need a host for the information sharing site, no bells, no whistles, so I’m asking if anything has changed or there are more recommendations to look into.

Also, having never done this I’m wondering how much work is it to move the site? It is Joomla created, and I am simply maintaining it while deciding whether Joomla is really the best way to go.

I know there are many on this list who have a great deal of experience here and I’m happy to have any feedback.

We’ve been happy with Pair for decades:

The price is competitive, starting with $7.50 per month. And they offer a very big range of options and pricing plans.

Pair’s tech support is 24/7 and they are located in the USA, and they are helpful, knowledgeable, patient and very quickly accessible. We’ve never had to deal with long waits. And backups and updates are speedy, and again, we haven’t had any problems. It has also worked quickly, easily and well with Wordpress, if that is a consideration. And pair’s email is quick and speedy, and no problems with that either.

We’ve recommended Pair to others for at least 25 years, and we’ve never heard a complaint.

2 Likes

Well after all the votes that were tallied when I started this thread, it seems that Pair was on top.
I have been with them for 2 years now and I find them extremely satisfactory.
NO problems and the tech support is excellent.

1 Like

I 100% second this recommendation. They’re the best!!

1 Like

I realize that I am replying to a relatively old post, but in case it is useful to others, both Microsoft and Google have very generous offerings for non-profits, ranging from free to heavily discounted, at least in the USA. In my opinion, the free options are more than adequate for many, if not most, small non-profits.

I’ve used both platforms with non-profits that I’ve helped to support, and I’ve generally been quite satisfied with the actual services. The main caveat I would offer is that the administration portals are fairly technical, so it is important to ensure that the organization has someone with appropriate technical experience to set up and manage the service. Tech support can be a little slow with the free accounts, too, but I haven’t encountered any critical issues yet.