Gmail changes, 2FA, Quickbooks

Not sure anyone can help but not sure where else to ask. Gmail’s recent changes have warning boxes coming up on a clients Quickbooks to make changes in the gmail account. We send invoices and statements from this Qiuckbooks. I followed the instructions to make the changes but ran into the issue with it now wanted two factor authorization. This client doesn’t even have a cell phone and gmail is not giving me another alternative (ie setting the 2FA to a second email would be acceptable)

Can anyone recommend any other free email providers I can have them switch to for this? Or a way to do the 2FA to email? I have an old yahoo account and even that is now asking if I want to setup 2FA.

(because I have nothing else to do with my time than be held hostage to googles whims)

Thanks!
Diane

I know this reply is late and hope you have solved your Quickbooks (QBO) problem. I don’t have a solution other than the one you offered but have a story. We are a Homeowners association selling advertising in our private newsletter. We have five QBO users. When Gmail made their security upgrades requiring the cell phone number we blindly complied. Some time later our primary user went into the hospital. We suddenly found we were locked out of QBO. Our primary user had his cell phone at the hospital, but because the phone was not geographically at its usual home location he could not authenticate. We were not aware that Gmail had implemented location checking. Once we got access, by our primary user returning home, we rearranged the users access rights so the primary user was an HOA management staff member that only used an HOA-owned cell phone kept at her work location. That really wasn’t the most efficient so we have abandoned gmail and are now using a Microsoft 365 Exchange email address that is associated with the Association’s business. We are hoping that Exchange doesn’t go the way of Gmail, but there have been troubling announcements.

You can create and use use app specific passwords with gmail when 2FA is turned on.
gmail instructions:

Note, you can also create app specific passwords with Microsoft 365.

What does logging in with Google accomplish for you unless you only use Gmail and don’t have any privacy concerns? I have multiple emails on my personal domain, Google, and iCloud, and I find life much simpler if all my apps and services are on the same email (with a very few exceptions). Having “Sign in with Google” popping up all over is a nuisance, and it’s all too easy to hit it accidentally and wind up with duplicate accounts, as I did with otter.

1 Like