FTP client suggestions

Same. I’ve been using Transmit for years, Good Mac developers.

Yes, comparing source and destination and then syncing them appears to be what Interarchy used to do. This has nothing to do with importing Yummy bookmarks, except that syncing is just another feature that developers are overlooking and that users have to live with.

In the past, I’ve written scripts that use FTP to get directory listings, then compare file names, sizes and dates in order to determine what should be downloaded to sync the directories. It works, but when I switched those scripts over to using rsync, the data synchronization sped up by an order of magnitude.

FTP is not a very efficient protocol and there are far better ways to synchronize data between your Mac and a server

1 Like

Cyberduck/MountainDuck. Robust and featureful protocol support with Open Source flavours, SWT UI (“feels” native). Relatively performant. And Cyberduck, when downloaded from the website, is free!

Of course, if it’s just FTP as such that you want, then there’s always the unbeatable lftp … but I expect you’re looking for the graphical options and not the CLI ones. :smiley:

Edit: oops, forgot to add, @gastropod, the app you want to remotely access SFTP through the IOS Files provider interface is this:

I also bought Interarchy and started it up a few times (and I am sure it was great), but it was more complex than Transmit, so it went unused. I also had Cyberduck but not MountainDuck mentioned above, so I had to look up SWT UI – apparently it is a toolkit for creating user interfaces for Java applications:

Transmit does have a synchronization feature, but I don’t use it. When I log into a website, the window is split into two panes with the remote server on the right and my folder for that website on the left. Transmit automatically finds the correct local folder if that preference is activated. Usually I drag the file to be updated from the right server pane to the left local pane (in case I have worked on that file on another computer). I have BBEdit set up as the default editor, so when I click on a file, BBEdit starts up and opens the file. I have the files sorted in date order so when I edit a file and save it, Transmit moves that file up to the top of the window. I then drag that file over to the server pane and the file is uploaded. This split window system makes everything simple for me – it is very visual. I am sure that I missed out on some great features with Interarchy and I am sure that I am missing the boat with great features in MountainDuck, but I find that there is a lot of benefit to simplicity. Transmit is doing everything that I need, so I am not going to reinvent the wheel. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve used Cyberduck for years and have always found it adequate and reliable.

1 Like

Secure ShellFish also has a Mac app. If you’re using sftp (which you should be!) then it can act as an sftp client through its Finder integration. Whether this is a good fit will depend on your workflow. And I haven’t had a chance to try it myself as I only just upgraded to Sonoma (which is required). But I’ve used the iOS app and it’s excellent.

1 Like

Have you looked at Beyond Compare? It can compare files in 2 directories and only show those files that are different between the 2 directories. I think you need the Pro version to connect to FTP/SFTP servers. I haven’t used the Mac version but I do use the Windows version at work multiple time during the day to synch files between my local desktop and various project directories located on remote file servers.

I used to use FileZilla, a very good FTP solution. Not sure if they have a 64-bit version out.

I believe they do. Looking at their download page, they offer the macOS version for Intel and Apple Silicon, requiring macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra) or later.

Clearly, they wouldn’t be able to support recent versions of macOS (or anything on Apple Silicon) if it wasn’t 64-bit.

I’ve always been happy with Fetch. I just love the whimsical cursor animation. :grinning:

I did write the developer recently as I was missing the progress indicator animation in the dock icon. Unfortunately it didn’t make it into the latest version…