Fonts on Apples Pages app

I have a variety of Foreign language Fonts that are on my Mac (2018 MacBook air running Mojave 10.14.5). I can use them on Microsoft word for the Mac, but NOT on Pages.

When I go to the Font Book, some of the Fonts I’m looking for appear in the “All Fonts” list, but not in the “Computer”. I’ve tried to follow the directions to move them to “Computer” and have failed miserably.

However - one of the fonts I’m looking for IS listed in the Computer section, but it is also not listed on the pull down Font menu in Pages.

Anyone have an idea?

TIA<

Sam

N>

I have a variety of Foreign language Fonts that are on my Mac (2018 MacBook air running Mojave 10.14.5). I can use them on Microsoft word for the Mac, but NOT on Pages.

Are all the fonts in a format recognized by Macs? OTF, TT, PS?

If you’ve got fonts that weren’t supplied as system fonts by Apple that are in System/Library/Fonts remove them immediately - they can create a big disaster. And fonts that are in System/Library/Fonts are available only to the registered majordomo of that Mac.

Did you install the fonts properly? If you just dragged them into Font Book they most likely won’t be recognized. You need to click on the font folder from your home screen (the easiest and best location) or another location that’s not in the system folder or Font Book, and follow the instructions to install them in Font Book Itself. Consider yourself lucky they didn’t open them within your system folder, chances are the first one or more of them would have eaten your Mac alive.

Which font folder or sub folder are the fonts located in? I recommend keeping non system font folders organized in YourMac/Folder/Fonts. Setting up folders for different languages, by project, or whatever will make things so much easier.

When I go to the Font Book, some of the Fonts I’m looking for appear in the “All Fonts” list, but not in the “Computer”. I’ve tried to follow the directions to move them to “Computer” and have failed miserably.

Did you install the fonts directly from the hard drive in your computer? The best way is to download or move the original folder to your home screen, click on it, and download to Font Book from there. Then move the font to the appropriate folder or sub folder within YourMac/Folder/Fonts. I like to keep the original file separate from the downloaded file.

Wherever you decide to download them, I advise not doing a bunch of them at once. Well designed fonts have very large and complex files. There are often folders within folders for different point sizes, italics, bold, symbols, etc. They can be really huge; to many at once might freak out your Mac.

Finally, if the fonts came from some sleazy free download site, forget about it. They can be loaded with viruses. And sometimes the virusy fonts were written for Windows only. So be happy that Macs have strict font protocols, especially in keeping extraneous fonts out of your system folder.

HTH.

The pull down font menu of Pages is stupid. Go to Format > Font > Show Fonts and select it there and it should work.

Can you give an example of the name of such a font?

There all OTF or TT fonts. Most (if not all) were installed by applications.

They’re all in /users/myname/Library/Font folder.

However, Tom’s answer just below, solves everything!

Thanks,

Sam

Tom -

You hit it out of the park! Thant’s the solution.

One of the fonts was JCL David. It is a TrueType Font that was installed by an old Mac program.

Thanks,

Sam