Five Enhancements for Future Apple Operating Systems

It’s probably more an App enhancement than an OS enhancement but I’d like to see Apple give some love to Keychain Access. It works ‘ok’ but is far surpassed by third party options and given Apple’s desire to have the most secure system it seems odd KA is a fairly half-baked solution.

It’s ugly, not particularly easy to use and lacking in many features. As the core of MacOS, iOS and iPadOS security it really deserves to get a significant rewrite/update.

I’m actually surprised how weak of an overall solution Keychain is. I know Apple likes to sometimes leave room for devs but a very few more features would make it much more useful. Notes finally is good enough for most people but Keychain is still too basic and feature free.

Isn’t that what Apple has done with System Preferences > Passwords? Not to say it’s all it could be, but it does seem to moving in the right direction of providing more access to stored passwords.

To be honest I never use Passwords, I always use KA.

I just took a look to remind myself why and it’s still a long way short of things like 1Password. Both Passwords and Keychain Access deserve the most critical app judgment - they’re not ‘Mac like’.

Maybe we’ll see some changes revealed in the next few days.

The Passwords pref pane is certainly more user friendly and the kind of thing I can point my family at dealing with. Keychain Access is too obscure for most. The Passwords pref pane is a tad too easy to get to if anything, requiring the login password alone. I’d welcome some 2FA there.