Fitness on Apple Watch

I only recently started using the Workout app. I don’t think OS 4 is really set up for my lifestyle. My definition of exercise is cabinet making in the workshop for an afternoon, light construction at the wildlife hospital where I volunteer, doing a 10 days worth of shopping in a big box store, etc… I fudge those into other categories. The only formal thing I do is outdoor walking.

Let me know if this changes in WatchOS 5.

:wink:

John

I find myself satisfied to simply get the activity ring credits with my general workday activity; I only turn on the workout app when I’m actually doing physical therapy or a genuine work out. Even then, I often discover my workout ring well on its way even before I call for an official workout. I have no idea what it decides to credit where.

watchOS 5 is said to have considerably better workout detection, in that it will recognize more vigorous activity and offer to backdate your time and give you credit for an actual workout if you desire. I should be playing with the betas but I’m just waiting for the final release to test it out on my series 3.

“Even then, I often discover my workout ring well on its way even before I call for an official workout. I have no idea what it decides to credit where.”

I rarely found the Workout Ring moved on its own. I agree it would be nice to know what activates the rings.

I don’t have a “workout” ring on my Apple Watch, I do have Activity Rings: Stand (blue), Exercise (green), and Move (red). Apple says “Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals.” Without explicitly starting a Workout on the Watch, it’s basically only going to use the motion of your watch arm to estimate activity. If you start a Workout, it also uses the heart rate meter.

What counts as “brisk” may vary by person, a walking rate of 3 miles per hour is definitely enough to count for me. When my Watch was newer (and before installing watchOS 4), there were a couple of times when I think it made some sort of error and didn’t count activity that normally would have but has otherwise been pretty consistent in what it counts and doesn’t count.

Sorry, Workouts.app and its items are green, so I’ve taken to calling ‘Move’ Workouts. Thanks for the further elucidation. All I know for sure is I’m a sucker for gamification and working to close those rings everyday has had a positive effect on my otherwise easily distracted lifestyle.