Firefox 78

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/watchlist/firefox-78/

The last major release of the Web browser that will run in macOS 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, and 10.11 El Capitan. (Free, 71.0 MB)

I find myself enjoying Firefox more and more. However, even Edge is nice these days. Safari is still my default browser but only just and mainly because of iOS syncing.

Firefox with its containers extension is a solid choice.

I switched from Safari to Firefox being my default browser this year for the devtools (though Safari’s also have some nice qualities) and more extensions in general but Multi-Account Containers specifically.

I don’t like to be logged in to Google while browsing all the time but my new department uses Google Drive for document sharing so I set the Drive domain names to always open in their own container. I’m not adamant never ever being logged in to google while visiting other sites but I do have a separate container that’s explicitly for visiting other Google properties (e.g. YouTube) without being logged in. Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter all get their own containers as do financial sites.

Another reason I switched from Safari is the university uses Duo for two-factor authentication on our main accounts and it has a “remember me for 30 days” checkbox you can choose. However, for that to work in Safari, you have to disable “Prevent cross-site tracking,” it’s all or nothing from Safari.

1 Like