FINAL Google Chrome for macOS 10.13 and 10.14

[EDIT: Please see update below regarding Chromium Legacy for macOS 10.7 - 10.14. DO NOT USE older versions of any web browser.]

The final Google Chrome release for 32-bit capable macOS systems is 116.0.5845.187

This version fixes the critical WebP buffer overflow vulnerability (CVE-2023-4863).
[EDIT: However, this version does NOT fix the critical WebM vulnerability (CVE-2023-5217) which mostly affects videoconferencing within the browser (ie. not in stand-alone apps).]

Unfortunately, Google does not allow downloading of this version as they immediately moved on to v117 which requires macOS 10.15+. This is a problem for anyone unable to upgrade to 10.15 or require 32-bit support who may have missed the brief update window in Google’s rush to release v177.

Example: A colleague’s system that is supposedly maintained via jamf through their institution only updated to 116.0.5845.179. This version does NOT have the WebP fix and cannot be updated with out the stand alone installer.

[EDIT: Please disregard this paragraph:] Does anyone have the direct download (.dmg) for 116.0.5845.187 ? I tried a number of methods and official sites (Chromium, etc.) but could never find that version.

If you have 116.0.5845.187 on another Mac that you trust, you should be able to copy it and drag it into the Applications folder of the Mac with the older version. No need to run an installer program.

Before doing this, I suggest creating an archive of the old version x.179 just to be safe.

I have not found anyone with x.187 yet. Chrome x.179 does nothing for the WebP vulnerability. Google barely had 116.0.5845.187 out when v117 was pushed, within 24 hours I believe, potentially leaving pre-10.15 systems out in the cold with regards to the critical WebP fix. Compounding this problem is the fact that Google decided to start doing faster, weekly updates at the same time.

Here are the recent Chrome releases with links to their Blog pages:

Is this the 9-11 for older Macs running Chrome? …sigh…

Does anyone know how to get the Extended Stable release or even Chromium x.187 for macOS? Google will pull it very soon.

Try Brave, based on Chromium? (Not Chrome.)

I don’t think you can download a specific official Google release of Chrome after the next version is released. Google appears to deliberately remove old versions for security purposes.

The Chromium project, on which Chrome is based, has instructions on their download page for how to get old builds:

1. Look up the “branch base position” corresponding to the version you want via an index site at https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/

Looking up version 116.0.5845.187, I see that it’s branch base position is 1160321:

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 00.58.44

2. Once you have that number, you can go to the Chomium continuous builds archive. One of the following links:

3. Click on your platform (e.g. “Mac”) and then search for the branch base position (using the “Filter” box at the top of the list) and open that folder.

Within there will be the build for the base of that version. Typically version x.y.z.0 (in this case, 116.0.5845.0). You can download the file “chrome-mac.zip” from there to get the build.

Note that the builds are not signed. So you will have to manually bypass Apple’s Gatekeeper the first time you try to run it (right-click on the app icon and select “Open”, then click the button to bypass Apple’s warning.) If you’re uncomfortable doing this, then you may not want to do this.

4. I found another page that maintains a somewhat more convenient meta-index of pointers to the same archive: Chromium History Versions Download ↓

5. According to the Chromium project people, if you want one of the patch-levels within a given base branch position, you will have to clone the source code archive, go to the specific commit number corresponding to that build (in this case, 116.0.5845.187 is commit number de1841911a42e60ea6e0f130168e0973f541c990) and compile it yourself.

But I assume that if you were willing and able to do that, you would have already done so. So that may not be a valid option. And it still won’t be the official Google release, but a private build of the upstream Chromium release that Google’s release was built over.

Sorry I can’t find a more straightforward answer for you.

See also

1 Like

[UPDATE - 4 Nov. 2023: Warning… The github page that hosts “Chromium Legacy” builds is now at least 3 versions behind the current Chromium release (as of 4 Nov. 2023). Even if it were up to date, it is a lot of work to continuously check the Google Chrome stable releases blog for Desktop releases and then manually download / install each new iteration. Chromium Legacy has no auto-update mechanism and will not notify you of updates as they become available.]

(original post:)

OK, I somehow forgot about Chromium Legacy that supports older macOS 10.7-10.14 and has pre-built downloads. Just pulled Chromium 117.0.5938.132.1, checked it with VirusTotal and ran it on a macOS 10.14 system with no major issues so far.

This build of Chromium wants to access the keychain but I Denied it as this browser will not be logging in to anything.

Chromium 117 keychain login

Chromium Legacy for macOS 10.7 - 10.14
(see Limitations list; some features not available; some UI issues)

Stable builds are based on Chrome’s stable channel branch and passed a few basic tests (launching, HTML5/JS tests, media playing) on 10.7 - 10.14.

I have Edited my first post to include Chromium Legacy and add emphasis to the danger of using older Chrome versions.

1 Like

Brave is my everyday browser running Ventura. They have a version that will run on Mojave but they no longer provide updates. I suggest Vivaldi, which runs on 10.13 High Sierra and later.