Experiences with iOS 17

I had a problem with search in Calendar on my new iPhone 15 Pro. For example, searching for “Dr” would only find recently entered appointments, even though browsing showed that the older ones were still there.
I found a solution in Apple Discussions: switching off iCloud Calendar in Settings->Apple ID->iCloud->Show All->iCloud Calendar, then deleting when asked, waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on. It took a while to restore (from iCloud), but when done, search worked on all entries.

So this is an annoyance I haven’t encountered before iOS 17.

Now that 17.0.3. is out, I’m as usual holding off until there’s more experience and no reports of more serious issues. But of course my iOS 17.0.2 has detected that there’s an update. And so now, every time I go to Settings, I’m not returned to where I last was, but I’m returned to the page screaming at me that the update is ready to go. This is especially annoying while tinkering with Settings for Mail where I have to go back and forth between the app and Settings frequently to test changes. Instead of ending back up where my Mail settings are, I have to drill out of the update pages, and then back down to the Mail settings. Every. Single. Time.

Apple, wth? I know there’s an update. Your incessant badge and showing me the page once did the trick already (not to mention every Apple site telling me that my niece’s dog will die tomorrow if I don’t immediately install this life-altering update). At this point I’d have to be a complete imbecile not to get the message. But here’s the rub, I am purposefully holding off. Your urge to get everybody to update at your earliest convenience does not trump my wish to not yet update my very own device that I paid for. When you pay for my iPhone, you can dictate the terms. But until then, stop bullying me with these 90s MS tactics. /rant

That’s a weird hill to die on. 17.0.3 fixed a zero-day (though it’s a local attack, so, sure, maybe not a critical need for most people) and patched the overheating issue in iOS 17 (whatever it was) but added no features. I get the point you’re trying to make, but I’d see holding off on 17.1; why a minor update?

(If you’re into anecdotes, if anything my battery seems a little better on 17.0.3, but really I don’t have enough data. But so far all of the 17s had seemed to drain battery faster, and it’s been a couple of full days of better battery with 3, so this one is welcome.)

In 17.0, and still in 17.03, the timer alert on my iPhone 12 Mini defaults to Radial and (appearances to the contrary–in my case Crickets shows as checked) cannot be set to anything else.

I started this thread and I"m still having problems. The significant increase in battery drain is well-documented. I was already in need of a battery replacement before the upgrade and the upgrade made the situation much worse. I proceeded with replacing my battery and that definitely helped, but it didn’t cure the problems I had with apps loading very slowly. Virtually all non-Apple apps get stuck on the splash screen for several seconds, and many apps crash after about twenty seconds, but then load normally after that. The one exception is the Amazon app, which crashes every time. I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling it, several times, with no change.The phone freezes up for several seconds whenever loading content that used to load instantaneously. It’s enough to make me downgrade if I can’t find another solution.

Again, I have a 256GB iPhone SE that has served me well of over 3 years, and see no need to upgrade for now. My next step will be to reset my iPhone to factory specs, but that’s not undertaken lightly as it means setting up a number of things from scratch, including every app that uses Touch ID. That’s better than buying a new phone, though.

One more thing on a related note, the battery drain on my Apple Series 8 watch is much worse after the upgrade to Watch OS 10. I used to get nearly a day and a half of use out of a charge, and now I have to recharge more than once a day.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Weird restarts at night after updating to iOS/iPadOS 17

The update went smoothly. Most important might be the security updates with 17.0.3.

I installed iOS 17 on my iPhone Xs Max a few days ago. I have experienced some freaky behavior with posting text messages in textareas, such as with Facebook, for example. For one thing, the textarea where you type is so small. You can only see about three lines of text.

As if that is not enough, I can only scroll down a little bit before my iPhone refuses to scroll down any further to the end of something I am typing. The only way I have found to get around this is by hitting my return key a few times, and then deleting those extra lines. Then I can again see what I am typing.

In all fairness, I should add that my battery health is down to 59%, so that could possibly have something to do with the freaky behavior too, but I am not certain of this. I should also add that I have no problem in the Notes app, or in the Messages app. So, maybe the problem is actually with the Facebook app itself. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue with the Facebook app?

I don’t have Facebook installed, so I can’t comment directly, but a bug in the Instagram app was implicated in the iPhone 15 overheating problems, so it seems entirely likely that Facebook would have similar issues.

Overall, iOS 17 has been fine for me, though I do notice a few more ads showing up on Safari than I used to see. (I haven’t been using any ad blockers on iOS.)

Wait! WHAT???!!! You don’t have Facebook installed? What kind of weirdo are you? :joy: :laughing: :rofl:

I use dictation a lot with Duolingo to improve my pronunciation. It seems to have had a makeover with iPadOS 17. Some things have improved a little, but the annoying new thing seems to be that stopping the dictation cuts off the processing of what you’ve said. Previously, I would say something, turn off the dictation, and wait for the text to appear. Now it seems that I have to wait before turning the input off. This is both Finnish and Swedish.

The Anti Social Media weirdo. I think it’s a toxic hellstew that’s actively damaging to individual mental health, real-world communities, and large societal structures. And sure, lots of people use it entirely innocuously, but that usage is what feeds the sausage factory that’s busy combining personal information with eyeballs.

It’s like disposable plastics or fast fashion—seemingly innocuous on the face of things, but deeply problematic at its core.

2 Likes

Oh, I agree with you in large part, Adam. Yet at the same time, there are valid uses for social networks, if we are willing to put up with all of the crap that they put us through. Trust me. I know firsthand all about that. In fact, I have expressed my own views in a series of 28 different poems which you might find interesting or comical. You can check them out here:

Updated iPads, iPhone, watch to latest OS.

I may have seen some overheating on the iPhone with original iOS 17, but I thought it was just getting hot in a confined space such as a pocket. On the other hand, it seems to have stopped with the latest fix.

One curious thing that never happened before: on my iPad Pro 10.5, but not others, just yesterday when I swiped up for the app switcher the appropriate screen appeared but with one app among many having a title but no image. Tried this multiple times and it wasn’t always the same app but always just 1. Tapping any other app brought it forward as expected, but tapping the imageless app did nothing. Clearly something was amiss in the OS. The iPad had restarted when the latest update was installed but not since, so I shut it down and restarted and the behavior ceased and has yet to return.

Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?

You know? From what you’re describing, I would do a Factory Reset. That’s a whole lot of odd behavior there. Just do an encrypted backup to your Mac (it’ll preserve health data and other things unlike non-encrypted) before resetting it.

Gee, you’re really getting hammered. :roll_eyes:
For what it’s worth, my series 8 weathered the upgrade to 10 with no issues. I wonder if the watch is being affected by your iPhone problems?

Dave

3 posts were split to a new topic: Increased battery drain in watchOS 10

This is an annoying Safari bug that only crept up on me since iOS 17. If I have a whole bunch of tabs loading pages in the background and I then bring up a blank tab and start to enter a URL into its address field, at some point Safari will eject me out of that and clear all I had so far entered. Perhaps when it has fully loaded one of the backgrounded pages? Admittedly, one of them is a nasty garbage page full of ads and video, but still, what the heck, Apple? I can’t get it reproduce 100% of the time, making it hard to file a good bug report. It happens a whole lot more to me on cellular vs. wifi so I’m assuming it has to do with interrupted page loads or spotty network. But not sure yet.

I’m just noticing this, so it may not be with just 17, but why is Apple now in the “Do you like the Reminders App?” Will you please give it a rating? This has popped up on several of the Apple made apps? Does this make sense when you cannot even purchase the app, as it comes installed?

Maybe introduced by an Apple programmer who used to work for Microsoft (and invented the Office Paperclip!) :grinning:

1 Like