Email Text/Background Color

Late 2015 iMac, next to last Mojave OS. (Haven’t installed to the newest security update, in my 9th month of avoiding Catalina)

I’m getting TidBITS Talk emails forwarded to me and I open them in Apple Mail. I have Dark Mode turned on.

In general emails from elsewhere display as white text on a nearly black background, quoted text is blue. Those from TidBITS Talk usually appear as black text on a white background and quoted text is usually indented, exactly as they do with Dark Mode turned off. But, every so often an email shows up as black text on the Dark Mode dark gray background making it nearly impossible to read. (This happens even in the middle of a thread where other emails follow the, normal for TidBITS Talk, non-Dark Mode paradigm.)

Example here:

I’ve tried turning Dark Mode off in Sys Prefs/General. At first emails that appeared white on dark gray were black on white, but these anomalous emails continued to display as black text on gray, but after turning Dark Mode on/off multiple times, the anomalous emails started appearing black on white, i.e. non-Dark Mode, the same as all other emails in the thread.

In a similar vein, when I reply from within Mail to a TidBITS Talk email my text shows up as black on a white background, while replying to non-TidBITS Talk emails (white text on a black background) produces an email with the same white text on a black background.

Does anybody have any idea why this happens?

P.S. I hope I haven’t offended anyone by typing only one space after a full stop! :slight_smile:

Yikes. In a different Mail thread on my computer toggling Dark/Light Mode several times DIDN"T cause the black on gray emails to become black on white. So, apparently that’s not a reliable kludge.

-Jack Clay