EagleFiler 1.9.2

Originally published at: EagleFiler 1.9.2 - TidBITS

Maintenance release for the document organization and archiving app. ($40 new, free update, 31.2 MB, macOS 10.12+)

Has anyone used Eaglefiler to archive (Apple Mail) emails?
Just curious how well that works, especially for searching archives.
Thanks.

I have been using it for about a year and have found it excellent on all counts – it’s robust and easy to use, has a fast search function, the developer is very responsive and there’s a free trial.

1 Like

Do you leave email on a server as well as archive it using EagleFiler? I like having email available on multiple devices (by leaving it on the server).

Once email is store by EagleFiler (however that happens; I haven’t tried it), is it easy to group messages that were delivered to different accounts? Sometimes a topic will be in one of my email accounts but a related email will go to another, and I’m wondering if EagleFiler could reduce the confusion that can cause me. Thanks for insight.

@ Will_M,

After copying email messages to EagleFiler, you can choose to leave them on a server or in On My Mac, or delete them – these are independent processes.

Messages in EagleFiler are grouped in the same folder hierarchy as on your computer.

Once they are copied, I don’t know how easy it is to do what you are asking, but you can query the developer here: https://forum.c-command.com

I recently purchased EagleFiler, and wondered what your workflow strategy is. Do you recreate the entire backup each time on a schedule? Or maybe backup by a range of dates into separate files? My intent is to use it as a backup/clone to Mail’s On My Mac files, in case of corruption or data loss when I move to Catalina or Big Sur.

@schwartz,

I got EagleFiler when I had to buy a new computer running Catalina and was afraid of losing messages in upgrading from Mojave.

I archived all my messages and then deleted large numbers of mailboxes – mainly business ones – from my computer, but since then I haven’t decided what kind of strategy to adopt. (There doesn’t seem to be a pressing need.)