Dragging out pages from a PDF in Preview

Rather a mundane matter I suppose.
Prior to the most recent iterations of Mac OS 11 and 12, I used to be able to, simply, drag a single page from a pdf to the desktop to facilitate printing one page.
Also, I find right now in Preview 11, a pdf for which I cannot even select to print just one page from the column of thumbnails. Has Apple hidden this feature somewhere?
I am trying to “Think Different” but I just cannot figure this one out
:thinking:

1 Like

It must be a protected document.
There are sites (and software) that may allow you to do that by eliminating part of the protection.
Use Acrobat to open the PDF. Under File->Properties->Security you will find (among other properties): Page Extraction: Not Allowed
Francisco

2 Likes

Both of these work fine for me. One weird thing about Preview’s interface is that if it is zoomed out far enough you can’t select a page toward the end of the document because it can’t be positioned to the top of the main body of the window. This took me at least a month or two to figure out. To get around it increase the zoom until the page can be so positioned. You might check to see if that’s the issue.

2 Likes

I think you are right, although I don’t currently have Acrobat … long time gone
on that
However, while the the document, in this case a bank statement ,is not locked, and requires no key to open,
its Info does indeed list Security: Password Encrypted. I assume this factors in with regard to how the document cannot be modified, i.e. not extractable
Although it’s not encrypted per se, I think it is unlocked by virtue of having downloaded from my own account.

Might I suggest a simple ’ fix’ or workaround

Display the page you want at the size you want
Activate ’ screenshot ’ application, adjust to cover page
Capture- this gives you a Screenshot (date time ) . . . .AM.png for example
Click ’ done ’ in upper right
open … png file will default to preview
either print or export to pdf for later print or combination of pages

I probably don’t understand your quandary because my first thought is that if you want to print a single page of a PDF, just choose Print and then specify the range of pages that get sent to the printer to just that one page (e.g. “From 3 to 3”).

If you first want to save that page as a stand-alone PDF, choose “Print to PDF” while you are in the Print dialog box. Then you can open the resulting PDF and send that to the printer.

Not sure I have the original document anymore, but at the time any function which would have allowed printing a selection from the multi page pdf was either grayed out or non-functional.
Hence my trouble, for the particular document.