Do You Use It? Software Update on the Mac

manually, only.

Itā€™s interesting to see how other users handle updates. I personally hate them, and would be using a much older OS if my software didnā€™t force me. I recently updated from Catalina to Monterey and have decided I want to revert. Theyā€™ve badly screwed up Mail, and it isnā€™t stable for me, in any event. I think Apple tried to make the desktop work like a phone, which totally pisses me off. Not a happy camper!

I cannot install system updates until and if I get a new computer. I have a Mac Pro (Late 2013). I could update my wifeā€™s and my MacBook Pro (late 2013) but I donā€™t want to be out of synch and I only use my MacBook Pro to read, check up on things in the evening.

I update as soon as they are available. I also run all the betas. Iā€™ve never had any catastrophic issues, any issues I did run into were never game stoppers and I was either able to resolve on my own or they resolved in the next update. Been doing it this way for about 24 years now. (Of course I just jinxed myself.)

Iā€™m not sure if my choices would even be counted as both my iMac and my MacBook Pro are supposedly maxed out at 10.13.6 and 12.7.2 respectively.

On the iMac, I donā€™t even have a ā€œSoftware Updateā€ option in System Preferences and the MAS doesnā€™t show any options to check.

On the MBP, I USED to have the first and the last options checked but when I learned that even those who had the first option checked but the middle three NOT checked were having unwanted updates forced on them, I UNCHECKED the ā€œCheck for updatesā€ option just to be on the safe side.

As for the other questions, since I donā€™t have either MacOS 13 or 14, they wouldnā€™t apply to me, I figure.

There should also always be a ā€œNone of the aboveā€ option for each question to give you a TRULY ACCURATE sampling.

I didnā€™t think I had all of the options set to ā€œautomaticallyā€ until I checked while reading the article. I had thought my Mac was set to only check for updates & install security responses. But what was even more surprising to me was that while all were set to ā€œautomaticallyā€, System Settings showed there was an update available. Despite everything set to ā€œautomaticallyā€, updates were not being downloaded automatically. Another one of lifeā€™s little mysteries.
Even so, Iā€™m going to adjust the settings, I prefer to have control over when updates are downloaded & installed. I normally take my cues from TidBITs articles.

Like the recent one called ā€œSonomaā€? :wink:

1 Like

I have them all checked, but none update automatically, so I have the equivalent of none checked.

I usually wait to update until Tidbits says it is OK.

3 Likes

Yes, but the wording of that option leaves the door open for other kinds of updates.

As I said, if I could turn on only the XProtect updates and leave off whatever other updates Apple may decide should be included in that option, I would. But the lack of notice and detail with the current update process means that if Apple did throw something more substantial into such an update, I wouldnā€™t know they had done so.

I donā€™t understand whatā€™s so hard to accept about the fact that I want to know when something is being updated, regardless of what it is, and I donā€™t like that Apple wants to be able to do any updates without any notice. Apple doesnā€™t even provide an in-OS mechanism for looking back to see when such updates were installed, unless itā€™s hidden in some log somewhere. Iā€™m a '70s and '80s computer child, and I want to be able to know whatā€™s going on with my systems.

1 Like

This is my approach as well. Hopefully by the time I make the macOS upgrade, Apple has sorted out the bugs and interface and connectivity issues.

I wait until TidBITs confirms updates are OK before I install them on all the OSs! TidBITs is incredibly important. Also, the more ā€œbuzzā€ there is about and OS, the less likely I will use it.

1 Like

Yes, 70s 80s computer person. First computer I used was in 1964, 8 bitā€¦ blinking lights and oscilloscopes.

That didnā€™t work for Catalina for me ā€“ never saw TidBITS say it was ok. So I skipped it, and went directly to the next (Big Sur), trying to avoid reported (and never declared repaired) Catalina email losses. Unfortunately unbeknownst to me, it appears that the ā€œsmoothā€ transition of my music library from iTunes to Music didnā€™t occur without first applying the Catalina upgrade, and much of my arduously scanned CD library was not included. ā€œImportingā€ it later still resulted in horribly screwed up metadata and album images which remain to this day.

1 Like

Another outlier here, my two Macs are still running OS10.15 and quite happy about it. I only update when thereā€™s an actual needā€“usually forced by some piece of software. Of course, the Macs themselves are 5-10 years old anyway. I do real work on these machines, day in and day out, and keeping up with OS changes holds no attraction as long as things are running smoothly. Wish I could turn off updates on Firefox and Thunderbird as well!

Thanks to the survival of Tidbits, I can still get a few words of advice on the new systems both before and after they come out. I read them carefully. I canā€™t remember the last time I felt any urgency to upgrade to the next system, so I usually take my time. Apple has utterly failed in coming up with compelling new features for many years, and often frustrated me by taking away features I love. I have a couple of old Macs with old systems I can turn on if I need them. But in the end, I always upgrade unless I need a new machine, then I wait to get the new machine.

Unfortunately, even seemingly trivial updates to such configuration data can have terrible consequences. You may remember, with great fondness and mirth, that time Apple accidentally blacklisted its own Ethernet drivers, automatically disconnecting some Macs that were connected to the network via Ethernet on the next boot (including headless Mac Minis).

Also, note that the wording is not vague: that last control is actually controlling two preferences internally, one for data (configuration) files and one for critical hotfixes. Examples of the latter in the past have included fixes for ntpd and bash, which would have been disasters for Macs running as servers on the Internet.

Time is precious, and you can only fight upgrades for so long. And, realistically, itā€™s not very long at all because of the many changes between releases which app developers and their SDKs and tools (including Xcode) rely on. And then thereā€™s security fix disparities between the releases, and Appleā€™s general ā€œdeprecationā€ of anything older than, say, five minutes when interoperating with their other products and services. Though I really hate to say it, itā€™s a losing battle to maintain control beyond a very short window of convenience, and any effort you put in to staying put with what you have will more than be wiped out by the pain and trouble of not having the latest.

So just upgrade already. :smiley:

1 Like

I install updates of all kinds as soon as they become available, unless Iā€™m slow and the auto-update during night time has beaten me to it.

I think most users let Apple install updates without their knowing i.e. automatic updates. Then they complain when ā€œsomethingā€™s wrong with the computerā€, because they happened to want to do something when the computer was updating and have no clue that itā€™s doing that.

To me the real question is ā€œdo you permit automatic updatesā€. If you do, youā€™re an amateur computer user.

Personally, I update when notified except for system installs. Those I let wait a week or so and see what the geek universe is reporting about bugs.

Iā€™m usually guided by TidBits on major upgrades, BUT I found that all my upgrade boxes were ticked when I looked (the first time for a while)(have now unticked automatic upgrades). Iā€™ve allowed the updates to download but not allowed the final step until the coast seems clear.