Do You Use It? iPhone and iPad Apps on M-series Macs

I’m yet another Wyze user who finds the app works well on my M1 Macs. I also use Resideo and TCC to control remote thermostats, Cielo Home to control remote heat pumps, Mobile Link to monitor a generator, and EcoNet to control a heat pump water heater. I’m very happy to have the option available!

I used it with the HBO Max app for a while to download streaming content for offline viewing on my MacBook Pro.

My wife and I periodically find ourselves overnighting in remote locations with limited connectivity and find it nice to have something to watch before bed. Unfortunately, HBO (as did Netflix) disabled the ability to run their iOS apps on macOS.

My trusty 3rd Gen iPad just doesn’t cut it anymore. :)

I use Libby almost every day to read books from my neighbourhood Library and on occasion I play some iPad games on my 15" Mac bookair.

I use just the SensorPush app, which collects data from a temperature/humidity sensor that, like my mac, lives in my house.

In general, i hate trying to do things on my iPhone screen if i don’t have to (and i don’t have an iPad).

Now this article has got me thinking that maybe i should try running the (terrible) KEF Control app, to configure my loudspeakers, and the Magicshine app, to configure my bicycle headlight.

It’s incredibly useful for some enterprise authentication apps I’m forced to use. Our company apparently never met a multi-factor authentication app it didn’t love, and most of the clients for them only run on iOS or (I assume Android, though I wouldn’t know about that).

Being able to remotely pop open my phone and poke a “yes, that was me” button, or type a two-digit confirmation code is so much handier than reaching for the device.

I use it for controlling my Mitsubishi heat pump and Zehnder balance ventilation.

AppRaven is the iOS app I use on my Mac. I can only use it once. Then it won’t open again until I delete it and re-install it.

I use the Focal & Naim app to control my Mu-So.

I wish I could use the Netflix app to download programming.

Myenergi to schedule charges to my EV though it’s becoming much less frequent now as my utility company auto schedules charging during its off peak tariff.

I use Calculator and AccuWeather all the time because they don’t seem to have true Mac versions and sometimes it’s handier to use them on the Mac (M2) than on the iPad or iPhone.

Off the top of my head:
Overcast
Good Sudoku (although I prefer it on a touch interface)
Gridwatch
Exoplanet
…Probably others. The last two would have been really nice to have when I was still teaching, but I retired a couple of years before the M-series Macs came out.

I do have some misgivings about iOS/iPadOS apps taking the place of more capable macOS apps.

Okay, wow - Just did a search for iOS apps on my Mac and came up with a long list. I guess I’ve played with a few, but can’t say I actually use them on the Mac.

One thing that stood out was that
LibreOffice
Blender
1Password
were identified as iOS apps, which seems like a mistake. I can imagine something odd happening with open source apps like Blender and LibreOffice, but 1Password?

While at work, I use the iPhone app to view my home security-camera’s app. I also occasionally use the Tesla Remote’s iPhone app since its interface makes it easier to change settings such as charging rate.

I started using the aircraft navigation app SkyDemon on my M1 Mac Mini as soon as I got that hardware, which was long before SkyDemon approved its use on desktops. I found it very useful and it ran reliably.

I tried when I first got an M1 but it was a terrible experience. The apps were so slow they were unusable. I haven’t tried since.

From a conversation with a developer, IOS apps do not automatically work on a Mac, but have to be enabled.

Interesting! Perhaps some FileMaker users here can comment, but I’d wonder if this is an intentional choice on FileMaker’s part or some sort of configuration issue.

I’m sure there is a way to outsmart this, but the Mac isn’t talking. :-) It’s even possible that Apple thinks, because I have FileMaker Pro on the Mac, that I don’t need FileMaker Go. And I don’t. But I need to know what my users will see – and I need to make this database run on the Mac now that Apple has killed the ability to make FileMaker runtimes. (Which I confess to having complained about a lot on this forum, but it is thirty years of my life that Apple invalidated!)

1 Like

TP-Link Tapo — to control a smart plug from the Stream Deck.

I did at very first before they allowed developers to opt out. I still have the phone version of PCalc installed on my M1 Mac Mini. But I never used it after that first day when I ran it just to prove I could.

By now I either just use the website or they have a Mac app. And iPhone mirroring will make this pretty much moot anyway.