Do You Use It? iPhone and iPad Apps on M-series Macs

I use a tide monitoring app and an iOS VPN client on my Mac. They both work well. I recall trying another iOS app. I was able to install it on my Mac but it wouldn’t open or work.

The one iOS app I semi-regularly use on my Apple Silicon Macs is Logeion, a Latin and Greek dictionary produced by the Classics department at the University of Chicago. It has an excellent web version, but I’m sometimes offline while traveling (either on airplanes, or at vacation rentals that are off the grid, or temporarily in a foreign country where I don’t need roaming). My work sometimes requires access to good Latin and Greek dictionaries, so in those circumstances, Logeion is amazing.

There are a few other iOS apps I’d use on my Mac if their publisher made them available: most notably, the Petit Robert dictionary of French, and its historical companion.

I think there are a couple other iOS apps I downloaded to my current M2 Mac just for a kick, but I don’t use them regularly.

That sounds similar to the Ideastream app which the local PBS station uses which also includes the classical FM station WCLV as well as NPR. The classical one lists the last few selections and shows cover art when available like in this example:

Although I haven’t yet used this capability on my M1 MacBook Pro, I appreciate the fact that I can should the need arise.

This is the problem with reading about what’s new in the next OS. When I am ready to upgrade, a month later, I have forgotten. So thanks for the reminder. I voted for did not know.

I regularly use Calm (a meditation app). I’ve occasionally used Audible, but I normally use that on my iPhone.

I wish I could use Apple’s Health app on my Mac, but they’ve prevented that. It would be great if there was a macOS Health app, but why not let us run the iOS version until that happens?

1 Like

The only Catalyst-derived app I am using from time to time is Weather.app. I tried some of them, but they are just not right when launched on Mac.

I use Reading List’s iPad version on my M2 MacBook Air. It’s a thorough, private book tracker. Much easier to type my reviews on my MBA’s keyboard, and then share via my iPad or iPhone.

Only drawback is the smaller type on macOS. When will Apple expand Dynamic Type from iOS to the Mac?

1 Like

I, too, never knew I could do this. My security cameras are made by eufy. It’s always bothered me that they didn’t have a Mac app and their browser support isn’t very good. I just loaded their iOS app to my Mac and it works fine. I learn something new every day. Thanks @ace !

1 Like

Control-scroll up/down is your friend.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to this app – it’s exactly what I never knew I was looking for!

1 Like

:+1: Zoom in/out is great – I use the two-finger pinch gesture on my trackpad – but it doesn’t enlarge the UI.

Hover text does, but it doubles the info on the screen. (And why does the link go to “en-asia”?)

With Sequoia I can just mirror my iPhone on my Mac so I just use them that way now! :D

I have some window blinds that have an associated app. While one can set scenes and schedule automations, the app doesn’t have shortcuts support nor does it have a Mac version. I installed the app (Bliss.app) on my MacStudio which is always running, and set up the automations there. Now my blinds open and close on my desired schedule!

That’s cool, but not quite the same, since I assume you can’t resize a mirrored window bigger than the size of the iPhone’s native screen (and please correct me if I’m wrong). The one iOS app I use on macOS Blink, which allows me to view the cameras outside my house at much larger sizes than I could just using it on my iPhone.

I’ve got a handful of iPhone apps that I really like that I find it convenient to run on my Mac: The Suunto app for mapping runs/syncing with my watch, RadarScope, the Red Cross Blood Donor app, the Anglican Daily Office app, and Apple’s Weather app. In most of these cases, I find these more convenient to use than the equivalent web site (if it exists). It is also really useful to be able to run certain iphone/ipad apps for large-group training situations, instead of having to mirror the device screen to the mac.

That’s an interesting issue indeed.

I have one specialized iPhone app that I routinely use on my Mac (in-house build, not publicly available). When I launch that iOS app on the Mac I cannot resize it. I can go fullscreen, however. And as it turns out, I can indeed get it to display in just one larger size using opt-green blob. So no free resizing (or changing the aspect ratio), but I can indeed get it to display larger than native iOS.

There is a missing option in your poll: “I would like to but I can’t make it work.”

I would very much like to use FileMaker Go on the Mac – or, rather, I don’t need to, because I own FileMaker Pro. But I would like to distribute databases that would run on the Mac without needing FileMaker Pro. This used to be possible with FileMaker’s developer tools, but this feature was removed years ago. So the only way to run a runtime version of a FileMaker database on a Mac is with FileMaker Go on the emulator.

But it won’t do it. As I understand the messages I’m getting (and maybe someone here understands this better than I do), it’s possible to transfer a paid app from iPhone to Mac to run in the emulation layer, but you can’t move a free app!

(And, before anyone asks, I have an M1 Mac. It ought to work.)

I’ll have to play with it, I haven’t noticed on my 32” monitor. :D

I use quite a few iOS/iPadOS apps on my M2 Mac. Mostly smart home apps and games. I’d use even more if devs would allow it. It is shocking to me how many smart home products feel like a mobile app is good enough. Sometimes I want to manage things on my Mac and get notifications, too. It’s been exceptionally handy to hsve this option on my new Mac.

Of course, I’d prefer apps specifically designed for use on the Mac, but if you as a dev don’t have the resources that allow for that, at least check the box to allow me to use your iOS/iPad app.