Do You Use It? iPhone Always-On Display Popular but Not Universal

Originally published at: Do You Use It? iPhone Always-On Display Popular but Not Universal - TidBITS

The results of our poll of iPhone 14 Pro users are in, with two-thirds of respondents saying they keep the Always-On enabled. The remaining third cited distractions and reduced battery life as their reasons for turning it off.

If I had an iPhone capable of this, Iā€™d very much prefer to have the option of enabling it for Standby, but have it off otherwise. It seems such an obvious choice that I canā€™t see why Apple donā€™t already allow it.

My objection to Always On is that it isnā€™t always on (at least, not on the iPhone 15 Pro that Iā€™ve had for about a day and a half now).

I noticed this last night when I put the phone on a stand across the room and the display turned off after about two minutes. I woke the phone, locked the screen, walked away, and the same thing happened. This persisted through various reboots and settings toggles.

In the Always On Display section of Settings, thereā€™s a note that says the phone will turn itself off to save power, which I find contradictory and confusingā€”either itā€™s Always On, or itā€™s not, right? Apple has a support doc for Always On on iPhone 14 (not 15 yet, that I can find), where it listed a series of conditions where Always On would turn offā€”none of which applied. It also said a turned-off Always On would automatically restore itself if a connected Apple Watch came near, which in my case didnā€™t happen.

There are a few complaints out there that Always On is really Sometimes On, or Mostly On, with several people linking this issue to dark rooms. I tested this by shining a bright lamp at the phone, and sure enough Always On stayed on the whole time I had the lamp on it.

In the time Iā€™ve been writing this, with the phone on a table right next to me in a room with the window shades open on a cloudy day, the display turned itself off after the first paragraph or so; I picked it up, locked it, put it back, and itā€™s still on.

Iā€™d be interested to hear what other peopleā€™s experiences are: Is your display Always On, Mostly On, or only Sometimes On?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a switch for Always On under Settings - Stand By. Itā€™s labeled ā€œWhen Always On is enabled, the display will intelligently turn off when not in use.ā€

Does anybody understand exactly what this means? It seems to say that if you enable Always On, the display will do the exact opposite and turn itself off. Does that mean that if you want to have the display always on in Stand By, you actually have to turn Always On off?

The Stand By setting for Always On has no apparent relation to the Always On setting under Display & Brightness.

I like Always On but Iā€™ve noticed an impact on battery life. My solution is to put the phone face down when I donā€™t need the screen. Not only is the level of distraction eliminated, but the Always On is disabled by the lack of light, saving my battery.
Iā€™ve experimented with how my phone battery performs with Always On enabled and disabled, and thereā€™s a noticeable difference. I have the same experience with my S7 watch. With the watch I realized that I donā€™t need the face to be on when Iā€™m not looking at it. The Always On feature on the Apple Watch is, IMHO, purely a vanity exercise so other people can see your watch face.
I think many of the complaints about iPhone 14/15 Pro battery life are connected to people using their devices more because of the Always On feature. Iā€™m trying to reduce my screen time by keeping the scree out of side, face down.

1 Like

My understanding has always been that Always On will turn of if youā€™re not around. While I havenā€™t tested this scientifically, I have noticed when my iphone is on the desk near as I work, the screen is on but dimmed ā€“ I can still glance at it for the time and other info. If I picked it up, it brightens and reveals the text of any notifications. If I leave the room and come back a while later (Maybe 10 minutes?), the screen is black.

Perhaps the people who complain about Always On impacting their battery life are too close to their phone so itā€™s always in bright mode? Or theyā€™re on a desk that wobbles slightly and their movements jiggle the phone so it thinks you moved it?

Iā€™ve never noticed any battery impact for me ā€“ I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever run my Max down to below 30% in a normal day. It has gobs of battery life. Most days itā€™s at over 50% when I go to bed. (The caveat is I use my iPad to Words With Friends. When I play that on my phone, I get horrible battery life. Itā€™s a battery hog, which is idiotic for what should be a simple game.)

Schrƶdingerā€™s phone will turn off when you are not looking at it

2 Likes

Always on seemed like a terrible idea to me.

1 Like

I might be more interested in AOD if I could actually read the widgets I put on there. But since Apple limits me to one row of widgets with incredibly tiny font, I usually canā€™t read any of that stuff anyway, so the only thing I do actually end up checking for there is time (large font, yay!) and that I donā€™t need to do all the time. Ironically, the right swipe from Springboard reveals both battery and weather data widgets that are much larger and more legible, but those I cannot get onto my lock screen.

I get it, Apple is trying to keep a lot of the lock screen blank for notifications. I realize everybody loves notifications and being entertained by their phones constantly beeping about new incoming super important social media updates, but I really donā€™t. Iā€™d prefer just few bits of information I define and expect in one easily accessible location such that I can actually read them. Oh well.

I canā€™t read any of these:

But this works great:

Heck, I turned off the always on display on my Apple Watch 8. It makes the battery last so much longer, and I really donā€™t notice it at all. Everytime I look at my watch, itā€™s on.

I figure the always on display on the iPhone 14 Pro is probably similar. I mean every time I look at my iPhone 12, and the display is on. Who else needs to see it? The fact that ā…“ of the respondents to the poll take the time and effort to shut it off tells you something about how useful this feature is.

What I think stinks is the fact that Standby Mode isnā€™t on unless you have an always on display, and you keep it on. THE DAMN PHONE IS PLUGGED IN!!! Itā€™s not going to run down the battery. Grrrrr!

I have an old program called Nightstand Central I got back in my iPhone 4 days. It still works, but is no longer available from the App Store. I use this as a time display when I am in bed. Unlike Stand By, it doesnā€™t shut itself off.

Personally, I wish Apple allowed both the watch and iPhone to retain always on when on a charger. Bedside mode would be great if the time display just displayed and similarly if the iPhone display would stay on at night when itā€™s on itā€™s charger, it would be great. I canā€™t find settings that will do either, Which seems like a real oversight on Appleā€˜s part.

1 Like

Youā€™d probably end up with burn-in if your screen was on that much, which would be a reason for Apple not to allow it.

I often wish for the same when driving (where my phone is always plugged in to power).

If Iā€™m using Maps navigation or Iā€™ve got Maps centered on my location, that will prevent the display from sleeping. But sometimes I prefer to use other navigation apps and then the phone will sleep its display after 5 min unless I touch it, which you obviously shouldnā€™t be doing while driving.
(BTW, whatā€™s up with 5 min being the max? Why do only iPads get longer options. May I please be the judge of my own battery demands?)

Now I could of cousre turn auto lock to off entirely, but thatā€™s not what I want as soon as I arrive and put my phone back into my pocket. So great, itā€™s 2023 and yet, I now need to remind myself each and every time I get out of the car to go into Settings > Display & Brightness and turn auto lock back to 5 min. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Agreed. And Iā€™ve asked Apple for it many times. Android has has this feature (one of their ā€œDeveloperā€ options) for years.

Apple needs to have an option for ā€œDonā€™t lock screen when connected to powerā€.

I can (and do) manually lock the screen with the side button when itā€™s on power and I donā€™t want it on - like when Iā€™m going to bed.

I wonder if this is an app issue? Back when I was using Google Maps, the phone would keep itself lit while navigating. But itā€™s been a few years since Iā€™ve used Google Maps, so I donā€™t know if this is still the case.

Iā€™d send feedback to the developer of the problematic navigation apps to see if this is something they can fix.

I agree. Itā€™s certainly an app issue. But unfortunately, itā€™s more than just one app and Iā€™ve sent feedback to all asking about options, but so far to no avail. Some of these apps havenā€™t been updated in a while. But even if theyā€™re no longer being actively developed and improved, theyā€™re good so not Iā€™m not too keen on giving them up entirely either. A system wide option would serve as a simple fix.

With my use of the iPhone, problems with Always-On being distracting really donā€™t come into play. My iPhone stays in my pocket unless I am using it. I rarely need to take it out of my pocket unless I am going to use it for some action that cannot be handled by my Apple Watch. So the display option is mostly irrelevant. Still, when the phone is out of my pocket for any extended time, I prefer to have Always On enabled. I like being able to see basic stuff at a glance without needing to press an extra button or screen tap.

Never heard of the feature until reading this article:)

I have finally arrived at I like AOD but only for the time, no screen image or notifications and like @whshep.shop I REALLY wish it w/b ALWAYS on and live up to its name!

Another insanity is that it seems to be a reality that when talking to Siri via AirPods Pro 2nd gen, if the phone isnā€™t awake, Siri ainā€™t listening, requiring taking the phone out of pocket! Really cray cray. If I am wearing the buds, Siri s/b listening, period.

Used to be when wearing APP when walking dog, I could say ā€œSiri, read me my messagesā€ (SUPER useful) but now it seems as though it does not work either all or most of the time; unclear to me if there are different levels of ā€œawakeā€. When I take phone out and wake it with a touch or Face ID, works.