Discovering Apple TV Channels

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/05/17/discovering-apple-tv-channels/

The new Apple TV app introduces Apple TV channels, an easier way for Apple users to subscribe to streaming video services. “Take Control of Apple TV” author Josh Centers explains how to use it.

I recently cut the cord and gave up my Verizon TV channels. While I have a “smart” TV, it’s not smart enough to stream from a Mac w/o an Apple TV or other device; also there aren’t any apps available that will allow my Mac to communicate w/my 3 yr old Samsung TV. I haven’t purchased a device yet as I’ve been waiting to see what happens w/the new Apple TV services that were supposed to be announced in May. I don’t want to purchase an Apple TV or Roku or anything else until I can figure out my options.

Is there any news as to what’s happening w/the Apple service and the Apple TV device? Should I continue to stay in limbo to wait to see what happens? Getting really frustrated.

Here are a few other features from another announcement and review (CNet perhaps?) I think the reviewer really missed the boat. All of these features were mentioned:

• All payments are billed on your Apple account.

• Payments are monthly with no proration for early termination.

• one can unsubscribe at any time without penalty.

However, the reviewer’s focus was too compare Apple TV+ to Apple TV and his conclusion was “meh”.

This last feature in this is huge! This is getting close to micro-payments.

As an example, I’ll use my Netflix DVD account. I pay $12/mo for as many DVDs I can squeeze in one month BUT I can only have one DVD in flight at a time. The limiting factor here is the US Post Office. If I receive, watch, and return a DVD in 24 hrs, I can watch 8 DVDs in one month. That come to $1.50 DVD for a movie. Or, if the DVD has 3 shows from a TV series, that’s $0.50 per show. Three of those DVDs were for the entire season 7 of GOT.

Now to Apple TV+. The HBO subscription is $14.99 per month. I want top watch the final seasons of Game of Thrones (GOT) and WestWorld. All I have to do is yo find enough hours of another series and/or movies for a total of 15 house over 30 days and I’m back to $0.50/hour. Then I end my subscription.

We have a Samsung Smart TV and I’ll be using it very soon.

Is there any news as to what’s happening w/the Apple service and the Apple TV device? Should I continue to stay in limbo to wait to see what happens? Getting really frustrated.

At the Show Time shebang Tim Cook announced “fall” as the release date for Apple TV+. There was no mention of pricing, and we don’t know about what content will be available when. So I’m remaining in limbo until there’s something to see and I know what it will cost.