Digital device alarms vs car alarms

Dude, no. Car alarms are an example of why this is a very bad idea.

Car alarms don’t go off to remind you of a time—they go off to tell you something’s (theoretically) wrong with the car, and can be readily deactivated only if you’re near enough to the car to hear it. The problem with car alarms isn’t that they’re persistent, but rather that by the very nature of how people use cars, you’re more likely than not to not be near enough to the car to hear, and turn off, the alarm.

Unless you’re in the habit of leaving all your devices behind and yet still setting reminders, you’re not going to be in the same situation with calendar and reminder alarms. I don’t know of anyone who uses these kinds of notifications and doesn’t keep at least one device with them at all times—that would defeat the purpose of using the notifications in the first place. Such a person would need more help than a mere device can provide.

The problem with car alarms isn’t that they’re persistent, but rather that by the very nature of how people use cars, you’re more likely than not to not be near enough to the car to hear, and turn off, the alarm.

Uh, yes, that was my point.

Unless you’re in the habit of leaving all your devices behind and yet still setting reminders, you’re not going to be in the same situation with calendar and reminder alarms

You don’t have a teenager or a senior citizen, do you?

Not directly in my household, but I have an octogenarian mother and two teenage nieces, all with iPhones of varying vintages. My mother doesn’t use any kind of calendar or reminder notifications on her iPhone. My nieces are pretty much inseparable from their phones. So none of them are likely to have a problem with a persistent alarm: my mother wouldn’t set one, and my nieces wouldn’t miss one from not having the device near.

Again, this is not for the kind of people who set reminders and then leave their devices behind. Such people are unlikely to use persistent alarm notifications in the first place, because they won’t help you keep your device with you.

Honestly, the people who would most benefit from this are those with Apple Watches—a device that if you use it, you keep with you at all times. People without Apple Watches would be less likely to try the feature out in the first place, if they know that they are sometimes separated from their devices.

Look at it this way: Phone call alerts are already persistent by default. How frequently do you hear someone’s phone ring for a call and they’re not around? That’s more often than you’re likely to hear someone else’s persistent alarms go unanswered.

That’s what I thought,

I think that’s impressively optimistic, and I say that with both age ranges in the household.

BTW, I so enjoy having people who don’t have the same experience explaining to me what that experience actually is.

The problem with car alarms is that they disturb everyone in the vicinity (which, as you say, probably does not include the owner). If a car alarm were a persistent banner on the owner’s phone or smart watch, I don’t see what the objection would be.

I don’t get your objection. You don’t have to use this feature. It would just be an option.

Are you worried teens or seniors would choose and leave their devices sounding off and bothering you? The regular alarm clock alarm already works this way. It goes on for an hour before shutting off automatically.

I’d hope that Apple would implement this in a way that anyone can cancel the alarm, not just the device owner, and the alarm should end after a long period, maybe 3 minutes. Perhaps it repeats in 5 or 15 minutes and then again 30 minutes later, in case the owner missed the alarm.

Yes, and yes, that’s already a catastrophic feature. Do you know how many times I listen to my daughter’s alarm go off in the morning?

Again, does anyone think the car alarm feature where horns blared until someone shut them off was a good thing?

What part of “ played an alarm sound that had to be manually stopped” in Adam’s article did you not understand?

I’m not saying anything about your experience. I’m talking about mine. Which, by definition, is bound to be different from yours. Nobody’s experience is universal.

I get that in your household, this feature could be problematic. That doesn’t mean it would be problematic for a wide swath of the customer base, or even for more people than for whom it would be beneficial. That’s something that can’t be determined by a single person’s experience.

I’m not targeting you personally, but I cannot stand the argument that a feature shouldn’t be available solely because it might inconvenience the person making the argument.

If you’re not talking about my experience, or about a universal experience, then you shouldn’t say “you” quite so much:

Sounds like you’re talking about my experience to me.