Dialog after Big Sur Update 9/30/21

A program tried to load new system extension(s) signed by “Kirill Luzanov”. If you want to enable these extensions, open Security & Privacy System Preferences.

I’ve found “Kirill Luzanov” on FaceBook (look like a truck driver!) and GitHub https://github.com/luzanovko.

Unfortunately, many of Apple’s ‘warnings’ are a bit short of useful info. I declined to ‘allow’ "Kirill Luzanov” or his ‘program’ to load/install any “system extensions”. Thank you very much! :rofl: But it would be nice to know who/what/why the dialog displayed after the Safari and “Hardware(?)” update today.

Did you follow the dialog’s instructions and look in the Security & Privacy System Preference? It should show the name of the software for which an extension is trying to install.

I googled “Kirill Luzanov Mac app” (I added the other terms because there’s probably more than one person with that name in the world) and found a listing that suggests they’re a developer for the Mac app DriveDx, is that something you have installed?

The first link in the google search seemed to go to an outdated site (formidapps.com), DriveDx seems to be currently offered by Binary Fruit. Another search result associated their name with a kernel extension for SAT SMART Driver, another program from Binary Fruit.

1 Like

In further searching I also turned up your findings. I also did check System Prefs-> Security & Privacy / General tab. It includes most warnings related that may appear on the day you see that kind of dialog. However, it is (in this case, anyway) a shortened version of the text in the warning dialog:

“System software from developer ‘Krill Luzanov’ was blocked from loading.”

I vaguely remember “DriveDX” and found it installed back in 2019! I have 4 days left on the trial use! :thinking: Doesn’t appear I found much use for it! :crazy_face:

DriveDx is one of a few utilities that is essential in diagnosing a failing drive since Disk Utility won’t notify you until the drive actually fails.

The SATSMART driver is only needed for USB connected external drives. If you only have an internal or your external drives are connected with FireWire or thunderbolt then it does not need to be installed.

This was helpful. I too recently encountered a similar Security & Privacy message, “System software from developer “Kirill Luzanov” has been updated.” I’ve been asking around if anyone knows who the heck this person is… and what he is doing on my Macbook Air M1. This Tidbit exchange answers the question.

I’d also say that, while I’ve had DriveDx installed for several months, it consistently produces “OK” and “Not OK” reports on some of my USB external hard drives. To the point, where I don’t trust it. However, I see that the app has existed for a number of years and is respected in the Mac community. Right now, it is UN-installed on my computer. I’d appreciate hearing more from those that trust DriveDx.

I had Drive DX installed for many years with out problem on an iMac 27". I didn’t reinstall it when I moved to an M1 MBP this year, but have been looking at using it again as I dropped an external back up drive and wanted to check it. Drive DX appears to give quite useful information, however it does require additional access and trust permissions (for the developer Kirill Luzanov) if you want it to scan an external USB drive.
I have declined to give it that permission and realise that it’s a sad sign of the times that it’s the Russian sounding name that makes me suspicious.

Based on the amount of online fraud perpetrated from the United States of America, you should probably avoid clicking on additional access and trust permissions for American sounding names.

Seriously though, Mr Luzanov would do better to register an account in the name of DriveDX or its holding company at least. Personal permissions seem out of place here, somehow a mark of carelessness. Carelessness leads to risk.

1 Like

A recent change to macOS produces these dialogs that identify a DeveloperID’s personal name instead of the app or company. There is a workaround, but I don’t know what that is. Perhaps as you suggested, just re-registering the DeveloperID.

2 Likes

@alvarnell DriveDX is the last of the useful and affordable disk utilities still standing, now that DiskWarrior appears to be down for the count (still useful for HFS+ volumes but APFS does not appear to be on a near horizon). CarbonCopyCloner, Syncovery and DriveDX are the tools in the box which I still use.

There’s got to be a way. You don’t see personal names pop up in apps from Adobe, Microsoft or Google.

There’s got to be a way. You don’t see personal names pop up in apps from Adobe, Microsoft or Google.

Forcing small independent developers to jump through the same legal and bureaucratic hoops that Microsoft and Apple can hurdle with huge legal and administrative teams is both unfair and how competition is snuffed out.

If Kirill Luzanov is clever enough to code DriveDX, I’m sure the registration obstacles are substantial for small developers to register in the name of their companies. Does anyone (developer with programs on app store) here have first hand experience?

Or it may simply be a matter of getting a business developer account instead of an individual account.

Although I’m sure it costs more, if you are running a business and are selling a commercial product, that is probably the correct approach, even if your business only employs one developer.

Based on the intelligent developers doing this wrong, I’m sure Apple is making it damn hard. I know that the TidBITS crowd is blame-anyone-but-Apple but based on 1. my experience with Apple and 2. my experience with good third-party developers, I’d blame Apple.

1 Like

I’m not sure why it was helpful to resurrect this two-year-old topic. DriveDX is clear about what will happen.

A little searching turns suggests that changing names on developer accounts is not something that Apple makes easy to do (these and similar discussions are all old, but suggest that manual intervention is necessary). Not ideal for users, certainly but there are likely legal and security issues in play that make it a more complex topic than it might seem from the outside.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/67724

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/46951

1 Like