Desktop folder doesn't match contents of Desktop

Configuration: Mac Pro 2013; Big Sur 11.6.4; Macintosh HD (OS, few third-party apps); User (SSD for third party apps).
Cannot remember the exact steps, but I plugged in my iPhone to back it up and the system crashed. When it restarted, nothing looked right.
So I booted from a Big Sur installation drive and installed Big Sur 11.6.5 on Macintosh HD. Then used Recovery to restore it from Time Machine.
The system boots and most is working well. I have some permission issues that I am working through. However, my biggest problem is the Desktop. I cannot find a Desktop Folder that matches the image on my screen. When I download to the Desktop (for instance, Screenshot to the Desktop), the file disappears. Macintosh HD has a Desktop folder that contains a file that is not on my screen. User has a Desktop folder that has the contents of the screen prior to the crash. How do I make this Desktop folder the active Desktop folder so that its contents are displayed on my screen?

Is your desktop folder in iCloud? You can set the Desktop folder rather than being under $HOME/Desktop to be under the iCloud folder. This way, documents on your desktop are accessible on your iPhone and iPad or other Macs you might use.

No, my Desktop folder is not in iCloud.

What happens if you drag a file from the User/Desktop folder to the visible desktop?

When you say the screenshots disappear, have you tried searching for recent files to see if it’s saving somewhere unexpected?

Are you sure you (or the machine) haven’t inadvertently created a new Mission Control space?

Your current Desktop.

On your active desktop, mark one file and choose cmd-i. This gives you the Info panel. In third line you will see “Where:” This will give you the location.

Your hidden Desktop

Mark “Macintosh HD” in Finder and do a search for “Screenshot”. Mark the one you made recently and choose cmd-i.

1 Like

What happens if you drag a file from the User/Desktop folder to the visible desktop?

I get a prompt for password, then it copies the file to the visible desktop.

When you say the screenshots disappear, have you tried searching for recent files to see if it’s saving somewhere unexpected?

When I select “Recent Items” and look under “Documents”, there is no item for Screenshot.

Are you sure you (or the machine) haven’t inadvertently created a new Mission Control space?

Not sure what that means. Mission Control shows me all my windows. Where would a new MC space reside?

Your current Desktop.

On your active desktop, mark one file and choose cmd-i. This gives you the Info panel. In third line you will see “Where:” This will give you the location.

When I Get Info on a file that is on the volume User, I find Where: User - me

When I Get Info on a file that is on the Screen, I find Where: Macintosh HD - Volumes - User - me - Desktop

Your hidden Desktop

Mark “Macintosh HD” in Finder and do a search for “Screenshot”. Mark the one you made recently and choose cmd-i.

There are no files listed that start with Screenshot-04-01- listed.

Are you willing to do some deep diving via Terminal to solve this? I will give you some commands that will find where your screenshots resides if you are.

yes. I will need help with Terminal commands.

Copy-paste this text exactly into the terminal.

sudo find -s / |grep “Screenshot 2022”

David-Sagers-Mac-Pro:~ davidsager$ sudo find -s / |grep “Screenshot 2022”

grep: 2022”: No such file or directory

Pretty sure the curly quotes got you. Try this:

sudo find -s / | grep "Screenshot 2022"

1 Like

Realized that Screenshot should be Screen Shot.
Same results:

David-Sagers-Mac-Pro:~ davidsager$ sudo find -s / |grep “Screen Shot 2022”

grep: Shot: No such file or directory

grep: 2022”: No such file or directory

Sorry @fischej is right, copy his command. My screenshots is named “Screenshot 2022-03-29.png” so Screenshot is right.

This suggests you’re moving to a different drive. You are sure you’re not booted into your recovery disk or another backup? I suppose if nothing else helps you know you’d be able to ‘recreate’ your Desktop by moving all the files like this. I know you said you’re not using iCloud but are you sure during one of the recoveries etc it hasn’t turned itself on?

Click on Recent Items in the Sidebar then go to the ‘Group’ icon in the Finder window and select Date Created. Now make a screen shot of something and it should display at the top of the open window. If you have Show Path Bar visible (Finder->View) you will see where it’s been created. You could also open the ScreenShot app (or Capture) and see where it’s set to store them.

If you open Mission Control there will be a Spaces area at the top of screen and any additional desktops would be displayed there. If you only see one it’s not the issue,

Do you have DropBox installed which moves a ScreenShot to it’s own folder?

The preference Startup Disk. shows Macintosh HD as the startup disk. Eject is not an option for Macintosh HD. iCoud Drive is not checked.
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘Group’ icon.
Mission Control shows no spaces.

My screnshots are all called Screen Shot followed by date, i.e., Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.09.04 PM.png

I do have Dropbox installed. However, the destination for the screenshot is determined by the Option selected in the Screenshots app window.

This command: sudo find -s / | grep “Screen Shot 2022”. found many screenshot files, but none starting with Screen Shot 2022-04