Copying diagnostic information

So both my wife’s iPhone and mine spend a considerable amount of their sync time in a step iTunes describes as “Copying diagnostic information (Step 3 of 6)”. This always happens, regardless of wifi vs. USB sync or sync&backup vs. just sync, and it even happens if you’ve only just synced before. She’s on HS, I’m on Mojave, both iPhones are SEs running the latest iOS. The issue has been with us since ages so it’s not related to a specific iOS 13 update. Neither of us suffers from any crashes on iOS so it’s not clear what is actally being logged so much. It appears this “diagnostic information” could be dumped into ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/iPhoneName/

Is there any way at all to turn this off? As a non-dev on iOS, I’ll never look at any of this. I don’t want to have put up with the extra sync time. I don’t want to waste space on my disk with it just as I don’t want my TM to take longer and fill up faster due to all this garbage data. I could just write a short script and have it run as a cron job to nuke the directory every night, but that doesn’t really prevent it from happening in the first place.

1 Like

Shameless bump.

Does this data get sent to Apple engineers? I’ve noticed it takes a long time on my iDevices as well, but I’ve trained myself to only sync when I have no need to use the device for a while.

Out of curiosity, does Console report anything else while this “Copying diagnostic info” screen is displayed? I keep meaning to look, but haven’t.

Thanks, @seth.

I can’t see anythign specific to this in Console, but then again since system logging got reworked/broken (in Mojave IIRC?) I have trouble being sure I’ve really seen all the relevant logs.

I checked my iPhone and all logging has been set to off.
Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvement
Settings > Privacy > Loc Services > Sys Services > iPhone Analytics
Nevertheless, these logs are still created daily
Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvement > Analytics Data
and their syncing ends up massively extending the time for my sync. I’d estimate at least a factor 5-10. I also see no way to delete them.

Any chance there’s an app out there that would delete these logs so there’d be nothing left to sync?