Connect to server fails

Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8 and MacBookPro Retina (May 2015) running macOS 10.13.4.
For years on the Mac Pro I went to “Recent Items” to connect to Server and connected to my MacBook Pro machines running 10.6 and newer up to 10.12.6 in order to update data files from one machine to the other.
When the MacBookPro Retina was updated to macOS 10.13.4 this quit working for that machine.
(It still works for a different MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) running macOS 10.12.6.)
Today looking on-line there was the recommendation to download and install the Combo updater to macOS 10.13.6 which I did with no visible problems.
Restarted both machines. Still can’t connect from the OSX 10.6 machine.
Yes, I still need to keep the Mac Pro at 10.6.8 as long as possible.

I guess you are using some legacy software that impedes updating to 10.7.
Have you tried using smb to connect to newer macs?
Francisco

1 Like

AFS has been deprecated, so I second this suggestion. There are other possibilities; update this thread if you require further help.

If you have been connecting to the MacBook Pro without specifying a protocol, e.g. “MacBookPro.local” OS X 10.6 is defaulting to AppleShare (afp) as the protocol. However, while macOS High Sierra (10.13) still supports afp, it cannot share folders on drives formatted as APFS instead of HFS+. As others have suggested, SMB sharing should still work, “smb://MacBookPro.local”.

If SMB doesn’t work at first, on the MacBook Pro check System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options and confirm the SMB box is checked (if you’re not sharing an external drive formatted as HFS+, you might as well uncheck AFP, you won’t be using it anymore).

If you previously didn’t have to enter a username or password, your Mac Pro’s keychain has saved them. You probably will have to save them again when using a when using SMB instead of AFP, I think keychain saves them on a per-protocol basis.

2 Likes