Column issues in Apple Mail

I would probably be getting one of these if not for the Mail problems on Catalina. (I have a small number of messages On My Mac, which I could deal with somehow, but the inability to choose column settings would annoy me.) Or I might anyway.

Sometime in the past, there was a pricing peculiarity on Apple’s order pages that meant it made a big difference how one arrived at the final configuration of a new Macintosh. Does the path to a final configuration make any difference with this MacBook Air?

Just to be clear on this, in case you haven’t observed how it works for yourself, there is still the ability to sort by column, just that you can’t do it by simply clicking on the column header any more. There’s a popup menu in the top left corner that you can use to do the column sort. I don’t like it either, but at least it can still be accomplished.

That significantly understates it. You can now only choose one column/option to sort by. You can’t choose to show multiple columns and set their width depending upon individual needs and preferences. Can’t see both To and From columns at the same time, etc…

2 Likes

Thanks for that info. I have not seen it for myself. My main concerns are choosing which columns to display and setting widths for them.

My main concerns are choosing which columns to display and setting widths for them.

Unfortunately that’s exactly what you can no longer do.

Does anyone know whether Apple Mail’s boneheaded column width decision in the “classic” view been corrected in Big Sur betas?

1 Like

Haven’t verified it myself with the beta, but I read on an Apple forum recently that it is back to the way it should be (before Catalina). No notes or acknowledgement from Apple though.
edited to add link to thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250711797

1 Like